bent valves and gasket set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bent valves and gasket set

Before teardown of engine, EX: 1,2 valve clearance was extremely loose to the point where I could fit 2 very thin shims to get a tappet in there. Well I have the head and base off and can see on piston 1 and 2 that the exhuast valves left tiny marks on the piston head. It's not bad at all, but just noticeable. I am going to clean the head and piston heads. I bought a set of used valves and springs off a member here and plan on replacing them. I checked the tension on each outer and inner spring and almost all were at the "limit" mm. How can I tell if my valve is bent? It's very hard to see if there is a "bend" on the valve stem. I did re-build the top end with a vesrah top end set 2 years ago due to the base gasket leaking. While in there I replaced the rings. I am going to order a piston ring set for one piston due to bent ring when taking off the base and circlips for each metal dowel because I have the pistons off. The other piston rings are fine because they only have maybe 4,000 miles on them and look fine as well. When tearing down some of my o-ring gaskets are fine, however I plan on ordering valve stem seals, base, head and valve gasket. Should I just order the top end gasket again and replace every o-ring just for piece of mind again? Thanks in advance.

Roll the valves on a flat plane. You'll see if it's bent.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok, I'll do that today and see if I can see any bent valves.

Comment

Working...
      X