Wind powered electrical generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind powered electrical generator

I was thinking. To solve the problem of not having enough juice to power aditional lighting on our bikes, and given the fact that on average we need this extra ilumination at high speeds, can a wind powered 12 volt generator like this be rigged to on bikes? Something to generate 35 to 55W? This guy seems to have built his contraption out of everyday materials.

Some old airplanes had something like that, when they first figured out electricity could do some useful things in an airplane. Makes sense there, as there is always a certain amount of airflow, at least if the airplane is in the air.

I'm pretty sure anything big enough to be useful on a bike would have to be much too large.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

With the new, lighter more efficient materials, and the fact that this dude claims 17 watts out of a centrifuge motor, it does not seem too far fetched. I am going to start looking into it.

Comment

I had an electric radiator fan on a car, accidentally wired so it would power the ignition. With the fan switched on it was acting as an air powered turbine supplying power to the whole car. You could go about sixty mph or more and shut of the ignition switch and the engine would keep running.
        It didn't make much power, just enough to run the ignition. If you turned on the headlights or any other electrical loads it would quit.

I'm sure if it was out in the open airflow and if the fan blade was on backwards to act more efficiently as a turbine it would have done better.

I did win a few beers with that one.

Not that it has any bearing on your application, just rambling.
        Post your results for us.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X