Leaking oil filter cover on 83 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking oil filter cover on 83 GS650G

I changed my oil on my new old bike for the first time yesterday, and when I tightened down the nuts on the oil filter cover, they wouldn't tighten very well (you turn, they get tighter, turn more, they get looser) and there's now a slow leak coming from the bottom of the cover.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need new studs for the cover?

thanks

yep .

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

studs and or nuts strip.
      replace what is bad and continue.

Comment

Replace all 3 studs at the same time, even if 1 or 2 look OK. IIRC the part number is 01421-06208. Also get new acorn nuts. Just a tip when you tighten the cover in future to prevent the studs stripping again - press the cover against the spring pressure with one hand so that the cover is as close as possible to the housing, then turn the acorn nuts on by hand only. They should go on nearly all the way without need of the wrench yet, because you have reduced most of the spring pressure. Now use the wrench to just snug up the nuts the last bit.

I also stripped a stud by using the wrench all the way (against the spring pressure). You have no "feel" of the forces acting on the small fastener!

Hope this idea helps.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Hi,

The studs and nuts are pretty cheap. I've ordered extra because I tend to strip them if I'm not careful. Also make sure the O-ring in the oil filter cover stays in place. You can use some grease to hold it in place while you torque it down.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If I strip one out can I helicoil?

I have always been told that Helicoils are stronger then the original thread. If I retap for helicoils, will this cause problems?

Comment

just replace with oem.... most of mine are 25-30 years old and are fine. chances are replacements will outlast your ownership

Comment

thanks! i'll replace the parts next week.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur View Post
                  I have always been told that Helicoils are stronger then the original thread. If I retap for helicoils, will this cause problems?
                  They are talking about the stripped male threads that the acorn nuts thread on to, to fasten the cover....Helicoils don't apply. Just replace them and enjoy riding....don't over-think it. FWIW, keep in mind it's the o-ring that is creating the seal, cranking down on the nuts to get the cover super tight isn't required, and is asking for trouble.
                  Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Got it. I am trying to not strip anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X