Knocking from stator cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking from stator cover.

I have a knock which seems to be coming from under the stator cover. I took the cover off and saw a bunch of hard white stuff in the oil port at the top which supplies the stator with oil. I took a small, pick and got the stuff out of the oil journal and from over the littl feeder hole as well. I took a small dowel and plugged the big hole and started the bike to see if the oil was making it thrun the small capilary that goes down and it was but not in any mass quantity. I then took some mig wire and tried to fish it down the small hole to clean it out. I only got the wire in about 2 inches and couldnt feed it any further.
    Question one..just how much oil is supposed to squirt out the bottom normally..Right now its enough to give the gears enough to sling around a bit but it isnt really a heavy flow either.
    Question two.. i was thinking of using a propane torch to heat up behind the starter clutch to possible burn up and dissolve anything that may have stuck in the tube..is this a good idea.
    Question three...I dont have a camera to take pics of these oil ports, so i waqs wondering if anyone would be willing to PM me a phone number so i can call and give a better and clearer ideaq as to what i am seeing.. Thanks, Chuck.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Ok well i got some good oil from the little drop off the the main oil galley that feeds into the stator cavity. I buttoned her up and as usuall its a quiet as a mouse when cold. Took it out and got it nice and warm and its clattering again when i pulled back into the driveway. The oher day i had dsicovered that the petcock had malfunctioned and dumped gas into the crankcase. I drained and changed the oil and filter as Rustybronco told me too. The petcock isnt leaking now and theres no smell of gas in the oil when i take a good whiff out the oil fill cap.. SOOO now my nhead is spinning! Did i damage the crank and rod bearings with the gas? The clattering is what got my attention and i have found all this since yesterday. The clatter had been happening for a few days and i have read a lot about cam walk and didnt pay much attention... Chime in guys and tell me what you think. Hope this "BULLET PROOF" engine really is!!!
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I really doubt its anything to do with your crank or any of the hard internal parts of the motor but it prolly wouldnt hurt to change the oil. Hopefully one the the motor gurues will post up some info that'll ease your mind. I wouldnt think that area of the bike needs an "oil bath" to keep it lubed up would it?
      I'd check inside the stator cover for anthing loose, something not right, something out of place?
      Long shot maybe but if you're like me you wont wanna ride the thing at all untill the issue is resolved.
      Keep us posted!
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Fresh oil..new filter..checked everything inside the stator cover. No loose bolts, no loose rotor bolt, starter clutch not loose or sounding funny ( I bumped it around a few times and actually started it with the stator cover off to see if i could see or hear anything and NOT SQUAT! Like i said its smooth as silk cold..warm it up and its a rattle trap.. I am running Rotella 15 w40 per all the guys saying its as good as the GN4 honda oil i was using. Oh and it hets opiled in the stator cover to cool the stator..i dont know how strong a flow, but it came out pretty good. I need a guru to just pm me a number so we can talk about it in real time..LOL
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I dumped a sh!tload of gas into the oil due to petcock issues and never had a problem. Just changed the oil and(and fixed PC issue) went on my marry way.
          I bet the noise and your gas in oil problem arent related unless you ran it for a really long time.

Sorry I cant be of more help but I bet you'll have it figured out lickity split. I would aslo like to know what the problem is.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

I stated before that i had heard it for a few days but had read so much about the noises caused from CAM WALK that i attributed it to that.. i cant tell you exactly how many miles i went like that but it was probably 100 to 150 or so.. with my luck the engines probably toast!!!

Comment

I am also wondering if the oil is thick when cool so therefore no knocks... it gets thinner after it is hot and therefore thinner oil and it knocks????I was wondering if i should add some lucas oil stabalizer, go back to the honda GN4 or what?? anyone please chime in...

Comment

Everyone must be out riding..
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

Comment

did some searches.. I eplaced the clutch springs this winter too..I know i went and bought a special socket for the clutch hub nut. I took off the oil fill cap and put my ear down there with the bike running and heard no noise from the clutch in the slightest. So i dont think its a loose hub nut. Next thing i will do is recheck the cam chain tensioner. but i dont think its that cause i can hear the chain rolling and it sounds normal up top. This specifically sounds like its right behind the stator cover but in the crankcase area.. just got me very baffled at this point.

Comment

im probably have pizzed everyone off with my joking and such..now i am serious and theyn think i am joking....LOL Cried wolf once to many times!!!!

Comment

Knocking in the stator cover is a starter clutch getting or is loose (the three bolts) this is the knocking. As for oil supply it is from the big hole above the starter clutch and it is the manifold for all of the oil in the main crank bearings and the top end.

Comment

got the lowdown on the oil path from Cafe Kid earlier by phone. So if the starter clutch couild be the problem how come it only happens after it is good and warmed up? At a cold start it quiet as a mouse.

Comment

Oil is thicker when cold

Comment

if it had loose bolts wouldnt it just rattle all the time regardless of how thick the oil is? I may sound dumb and i am as far as starter clutches go..

Comment

When my starter clutch was going I only heard a noise when riding and the noise happened more often when hot.
                              I thought originally, that I had really screwed something up. Noise wasnt all the time. I pictured a little gremlin inside my engine with a big hammer. Going down the street, out of the blue, the gremlin would give a whack.
                              I tried to have others listen, but my noise only happened when moving.

Then one day - it broke completely. You should have heard THAT.
                              I didnt know what had happened.
                              I stopped downtown for coneys. When I came out starter would spin but not engage. Sounded like when a car has a bad bendix.

Very large Detroit cop helped me push start.

That told me it wasnt the motor and I found 3 sheered bolts in the starter clutch. I couldnt even see the damage until i got the rotor out of the way.
                              From what you say - my guess is starter clutch.
                              Man - I hate that noise.
                              85 1150E

Comment

Working...
                              X