Ok..... but re-wire the whole bike???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok..... but re-wire the whole bike???

Buddy came over to wire my Bandit gauges to my 80 gs1100 harness & after getting things wired, he sees the harness is in pretty bad shape (it is 30 years old after all).
    He says, why don't we re-wire the whole bike? Get rid of all the unnecessary connectors & wiring. He says it will be more efficient, cleaner looking etc.

What's your opinion? A fresh start or a waste of time/energy?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

its easy an relatively cheap. make sure you make your own wiring diagram so you know whats what.you ndont even have to stick to the standard wire colours.
    at least you will know its all new with good clean connections
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If he knows his wiring, go ahead. Nothing wrong. Unless someone has butchered the harness it can be saved. Make sure to label where the wires go, remove the harness Use some cable tyes to keep the wires together and remove the wrapping to repair/replace wires. Get some wire wrap that seals on itself to re wrap the harness. Don't use electrical tape

Comment

Heck yeah!
        Like I always say if it aint broke, fix it.

I/we did a lot on my 850 a while back. I wanted to get rid of the gear indicator, stand safety, clutch safety and the entire dash. All I have now is the basic charging system with a honda RR(or at least looks like it) working signals, tail light, front and rear brake light and switched headlight. No dash except for speedo(with backlight,lol)

Had two color poster sized diagrams lying on the floor durring the precess. One of the original harness and the harness I wanted, with mods, and notes.
        All day PITA job for two of us but it was well worth it.

Not sure if this is your goal with the wiring project but just thought it might be worth mentioning.
        If I were going back original I prolly would have left well enough alone.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I wouldn't unless I had a) time to spare for a hobby rebuild or b) recurrent electrical problems that didn't make sense: shorts, continuity, open circuits...

That said, an old harness han hide many problems with chafed or overheated wires from decades before. In tracing a ground problem on my little '79, the cable trunk under the seat had been both chafed and partially melted.
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic
          ..............................27 years

Comment

Working...
          X