Tire Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Problem

Hey all. So, I purchased a new tubeless tire online for my 450. When I took it to cyclegear to get it mounted, we discovered that the tire on their was tubed. I don't have a spoked wheel, so I think that I can put the tubeless I have on there. The reason I want to use the tire I have is it was $50 cheaper than what I can buy it for in store, and I don't want to have to pay to ship it back, then buy another.

Problem - the valve stem for the tubeless tires is slightly too large to fit in the hole in the wheel. The shop told me the stem is 11.3mm diameter. Do you guys see any problem with my using a drill and opening up the hole a little bit? It is just a hair too small for the new stem to fit in.

Thoughts? Hope my problem is understandable.

Thanks
    Brett
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM.

Just use a new tube with your new tire, should cost you about $10 more.

I wouldn't drill the wheel, I would buy the correct OEM valve stem from Suzuki if I didn't want to use a tube.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Just because you don't have a spoke wheel does not mean the wheel is tubeless. I've got mag wheels on my 1980 and they use tubes. If it is not stamped tubeless on the rim use tubes.

Comment

I have mag wheels on my 750 and they're not tubeless rims. I just put new "tubeless" tires on with tubes. I'd go by the rim more than the tires themselves. save yourself the trouble and spend the extra 10 bucks and slap some tubes in your tubeless tires.... It'll work.

Comment

I bought the Kendra Cruiser Sports

It is ok to use tubes here?

Comment

The kendas can be run with a tube or tubeless.

Comment

I have a 1980 450e. I run tubeless tires. The valve stems on the bike are less that 8mm in diameter. Same with my 1982 650g. Don't drill the rim. Is this a Harley shop? My 650 rims were pretty dirty and corroded and I had to clean them ( inside) real good with scotch brite pads and steel wool to get them to seal tight. Good luck.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
              X