Odo no worko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odo no worko

Hi everybody. Ive been cruising this site for some time but this is the first time I've posed a question. I have a 79 gs 850 and the odometer does not work and the reset knob has busted off. The tach and speedo are in good working order but the odo stays put. Does the odometer run off the speedometer and this is an internal guage issue or does the odometer have a gear in the front wheel assembly which might be compromised?Thanks for the help and great site!!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. codder,

Drat! Wouldn't you know it? Photobucket is down. But I can attach a picture. You will see that the cable connects to a bell housing assembly that is magnetic and causes a little watch spring to move the speedometer needle. But the odometer and tripmeter are run by gears off of the cable. You will see a larger horizontal shaft driving the other gear assemblies. It could be that one of these is worn or out of place.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

OK. Photobucket is back up. Here's a full 800x600 picture. I've got bigger if you want it.

(This is the busted gauge from when I wrecked Jessie.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

rideo as longo as the speedoo workso.. no worrieso of the copo pulling you overo as longo as you arent speedingo
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X