throttle/clutch cable questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle/clutch cable questions.

I put drag bars on my '83 650g, so I now believe my throttle and clutch cable are too long as my clutch is hard to pull and my throttle is all over the place. If I wiggle the cable it my rpm's will alter. Am I correct in assuming my cables are too long and bent in awkward positions?

Also, how long are my original cables? and about how much shorter cables should i get? I think I can make my throttle cable work, is there an easy way to unhook it from the bars end? I am at school now so dont have many tools, money, or a shop to work with, so I hope these are easy fixes!

Easy enough. Rerouting the cable sometimes works, bring it up the other side of the frame or something. Be careful to ensure the throttle does not get pulled as the handlebars turn. Or get a shorter cable from a smaller bike which may fit better. Not sure with your bike, maybe one from a GS400 or something. You need one with the correct end fittings on the carb end and the throttle end too...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Easy enough. Rerouting the cable sometimes works, bring it up the other side of the frame or something. Be careful to ensure the throttle does not get pulled as the handlebars turn. Or get a shorter cable from a smaller bike which may fit better. Not sure with your bike, maybe one from a GS400 or something. You need one with the correct end fittings on the carb end and the throttle end too...
      Thanks Kent! you always come to the rescue! Where is the easiest way to unhook both cables (mainly the throttle, as that's the one I need to majorly adjust to get it on the road). Can it be unhooked at the bars easily?

Comment

Yeah, take the two screws out of the switch assembly and split it, it's pretty obvious from there.

Comment

Hi,

Once you take the right control (throttle grip assembly) off (just two screws), open it up, and you will see that the ball end of the throttle cable fits into a notch on the round plastic assembly inside. You'll be surprised how simple it is to remove and re-install. The other end of the throttle cable looks like this:

Again, you just manipulate the assembly so that you take the ball end out of its holder:

Oh, yeah, there's jam nut to loosen so that the cable comes loose from its holder on the carbs:

And, as they say in the manuals, reassemble in the reverse order.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 01:41 AM.

Comment

I changed my bars on my 650g to Superbike bend. I ordered cables for a 650m Katana. I have installed the clutch cable and it works fine. Haven't installed the throttle yet. I had to play around with the old throtttle to get it to work without hitting WOT when I turned the wheel. I got it to work but it looks strange. Keep it as straight as possible with gentle bends. Good luck.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Here is a picture of how I had to temporary route the throttle cable. Make sure it functions reliablely, as you don't want it going full open when you turn. I had to hit the kill switch once. Hope this helps.

cg
              Last edited by Charlie G; 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM.
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Got the throttle cable all rerouted so it works perfect now, Thanks guys!! Now how about the clutch cable? Easiest way to unhook it from the clutch lever?

Comment

Originally posted by suzu650 View Post
                  Got the throttle cable all rerouted so it works perfect now, Thanks guys!! Now how about the clutch cable? Easiest way to unhook it from the clutch lever?
                  Hi,

Again, it's a ball-in-slot arrangement at the lever. Loosen up the adjustments until you can take it out, then re-route as necessary. Reassemble.

Do you have a manual for your bike? You can download one from my website.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

Again, it's a ball-in-slot arrangement at the lever. Loosen up the adjustments until you can take it out, then re-route as necessary. Reassemble.

Do you have a manual for your bike? You can download one from my website.

BassCliff
                    Thats what I thought, I started loosing the adjustment but they were real tough to budge. I will take another look at it later. Thanks Basscliff

Comment

Hi,

You may have to use some WD-40 or other bolt-loosening liquid if it hasn't been taken apart in a while.

BassCliff

Comment

I had to unhook the cable from the opposite end to get the adjustments completely loosened on the bar end, then the cable came right out. Got busy with some other things after that so will reroute the cable tomorrow.

Comment

OK, for a 650G with Superbike bars, are the 650 Katana clutch and throttle cables the best ones to use? Maybe 450 cables?
                          I have the stock cables looped around out front and it works, but I don't like it.
                          Last edited by tkent02; 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I used 83 Kat cables on mine and they work fine. 450 clutch won't work, the connection at the case is different.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                              I used 83 Kat cables on mine and they work fine. 450 clutch won't work, the connection at the case is different.

cg
                              Great, do you know the length of the cables? Or can you post a pic of the way they are routed? Thanks!

I can't find a listing for the Katana, do you have a part number?
                              Last edited by tkent02; 10-23-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X