A miss at idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A miss at idle?

Hello, I need help with a miss at idle issue that just developed on a ride this morning... Yesterday, I installed an EBC "Street Racer Clutch" kit (kevlar friction plates and heavier than stock springs) and it was running awesome. Today, after exiting the highway, I came to a light at an intersection and my 82' GS1100GK started missing at idle. The bike ran fine on the highway going home, but at every light I had to keep the throttle bumped up to keep it running. I tried turning up the idle screw but that didn't help at all. When I got home, I took off the carbs ( which I just rebuilt a month ago with new everything... jets, float seats, float needles, etc...) and went through them. I blew out all the circuits and fuel channel first with carb cleaner then with compressed air. I didn't notice anything obvious but I did notice a small amount of "junk" trapped in the inline fuel filter. I could not find a "free flow" filter so I bought a "small engine" paper media filter made by Briggs & Stratton. After putting the carbs back on and getting the linkage, hoses and clamps back in place, I tested the new filter by turning the petcock on prime. I watched as the fuel ran through the filter and it seemed to flow freely for several seconds until the bowls were full. Then it stopped flowing and left a large air bubble in the top 1/4 of the filter. I started the engine and I could see fuel flowing through but the air bubble was still there, the level never changed. Also, I didn't notice any junk in the new filter, so I'm not sure where it came from since my tank was sealed last year. Anyway, I rode for about 10 miles and everything seemed to be okay until I was about 3 blocks from home. The miss came back at idle while stopped at a traffic light but this time when I throttled up, the engine stalled out completely (acting like there was no fuel) . It fired back up right away and ran fine until I got home. It started missing again at idle. I wouldn't think the new clutch would have anything to do with this problem, it would have to be the fuel system or maybe an electrical issue? Any ideas?

You answered your own question.
    You have crap floating around and finding it's way into the carbs. Did you take out the pilot jets and make sure they were clear?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yes, as I mentioned before... I went through the carbs after getting home. Took out all jets, needle seats and blew out all passages. Re-checked float height. There was nothing obvious as far as "junk" in the bowls or anything that came out on to the news paper. I only found junk in the inline filter (maybe 20-25 small pieces that kind of looked like black rubber). Since the fuel lines are new, I am guessing these pieces came from twisting on the new fuel lines. Sometimes the inner edge of a fuel line that has been freshly cut will break off little pieces like this while trying to push it on to a fitting. Also, I didn't see any junk in the new filter so I'm pretty sure what ever the junk was is gone now... I am going to go get a new free flow filter from the ATV dealer here in town today and try it again... Will let yas know if it solves this problem... Tony

Comment

Ok, nothing I have tried has worked...Bike is still missing badly at idle. I am going to start from scratch. Carbs are off the bike and completely disassembled. Does anyone know, what size pilot and air pilot jets to try with my GS1100GK? I am using the stock airbox but with K&N air filter and stock exhaust. In my rebuild kit, I have pilot jets 40 (stock) as well as 45. Also I have two different air pilot jets, 170 (stock) and 160. I was thinking about using the smaller air pilot and larger pilot jet combo since using the K&N air filter allows so much more air to pass through... Does anyone else agree, or disagree? Oh yeah, one more thing. I have a little bit of fuel pooling in the intake boots... Float height is at 22.4mm. If gas is pooling in the boots, should I raise or lower float height? Thanks for any help...Tony

Comment

Use the stock jets. Don't use the aftermarket jets.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wow, what a kicker...Problem has been solved...Turned out it wasn't a carb problem at all. Plug cap on #2 cylinder popped right off in my hand... First 1/4" at tip of wire was so soft (probably from high heat) it felt like a sponge and had NO conductor. After trimming off the 1/4" of insulation to were I could see the shine of copper I screwed the boot back on . The miss is gone and the wind is back in my face... Not sure why I could only notice the miss at idle, but just happy it's fixed... Good thing is I shouldn't have to worry about the carbs for a while!!! Thanks chef1366 for all your input. Glad I didn't change the jets or I'd still be trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

Comment

Working...
            X