X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100 E "Resto-Mod"

1) V & H 4-into-1s are on order.

2) HD rear Progressives have shipped.

3) Fast from the Past fork-brace is on the way.

4) Wheels are in for powder-coating (flat-matte black - no polished edges)!

5) New Avon's are ready for mounting - just as soon as the wheels are back from powder-coating!

6) All colour-coded parts are in for paint (Dark metallic "Gun Metal" gray - base/clear...)! Am I banned yet!?

7) New GS1000S clutch cable should be here tomorrow.

8) Ditto for the new air-box boots!

9) Cam-cover is off for valve-adjustment.

10) Brake-lines are removed and ready for duplication in stainless steel-braided!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2010, 12:15 AM.

Pictures are required...

Comment

Yep - working on getting a photobucket account or something - kinda sucks not being able to just post it directly into the thread/post (at least in a restricted size then...)!?

The forum won't even allow me to post a picture that I posted in my first greeting here (its the only BEFORE that I will have)! Can server storage space be THAT expensive!? I notice that threads get purged as well!

That limits searches and explains why searches for some of my dumb questions delivered no results! Causes the same questions to be asked over and over publicly (if you asked me - which nobody did)!
      Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 10:15 AM.

Comment

So, the V&H vendor shipped the wrong (drag-version) of their pipes; correct one has now been re-shipped!

HD rear Progressives are installed.

Fast from the Past fork-brace is here - ready to be installed once we have the wheels back on and once we align the bike.

Flat-matte black powder-coated wheels are back now and the new Avons are installed and balanced. Looks GREAT!

New wheel-bearings - front and rear - are here and ready to go in on Monday!
        Fork-oil drained, flushed and refilled.

Subaru dark metallic "Gun Metal" gray - base/clear body-parts are done and ready to go back on!

New GS1000S clutch cable installed (this bike is a GS1100E and the routing is a bit better but the clutch is still tight)!

New air-box boots are installed!

Valve-adjustment is done - new valve cover gasket installed.

New custom-made stainless-steel braided brake-lines - front & rear - installed and system flushed - ready for refill and bleed.

New Dynatek green coils are headed this way (as are their grey DW-800 suppression wires)!

All electrical connections have been PB Blasted/WD40/Contact Cleaner-treated/Dielectric Greased and replaced in places. We have also run a new heavy-gauge ground-strap from the regulator to the battery and improved the ground from the battery to the engine!

New plugs are gapped and reinstalled - did another oil-change (and replaced the drain-plug copper o-ring).

Can't WAIT to ride this thing again!

Comment

why don't you change to dot 5 brake fluid while your doing the lines?
          higher temp rating and it does not damage paint or draw moisture.
          it is expensive but what to hay!

Comment

I wanted to, but I was advised against using DOT 5 on these older machines!

Can I - should I...?

Any way, here's a link to some pictures! http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/a...0E%20RestoMod/

How do I post pics directly IN the thread!?
            Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JungleJustice View Post

Subaru dark metallic "Gun Metal" gray - base/clear body-parts are done and ready to go back on!

I love Urban Gray Metallic. I drive a 2003 Platinum Silver WRX while my GS is in pieces. If I had picked a newer model, though, I would have definitely picked UGM as my color.

Good luck with the Resto-Mod! I plan on doing something similar once I get this old gal charging right.

Comment

I wanted to, but I was advised against using DOT 5 on these older machines!

Can I - should I...?

Any way, here's a link to some pictures! http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/a...0E%20RestoMod/

you have to flush the system with rubbing alcohol.
                dot 5 is the only way to go if you care about your bike and its finish.
                FYI
                ever had or known of someone jumping on there bike in the spring just to find out when you hit the brake they lock up and the bike will not move...
                thats because dot 3 4 attracts moisture.
                dot 5 silicone does not.

Comment

Did you notice the IMG link that is associated with every picture?

Copy that link and paste it in your message. Please also put a blank line between the pictures, you can post up to 10 per message.

etc., etc., etc.

Last edited by Steve; 05-02-2010, 03:05 PM.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Very cool - thanks for doing that!

OK then, I'll swap to the DOT-5 fluid. Any issues with the seals not taking it...?

Comment

Yep - working on getting a photobucket account or something - kinda sucks not being able to just post it directly into the thread/post (at least in a restricted size then...)!?

The forum won't even allow me to post a picture that I posted in my first greeting here (its the only BEFORE that I will have)! Can server storage space be THAT expensive!? I notice that threads get purged as well!

That limits searches and explains why searches for some of my dumb questions delivered no results! Causes the same questions to be asked over and over publicly (if you asked me - which nobody did)!
                      Your comments are a bit unfair, did you know:

This Forum isn't run by a multi-million dollar company with teams of development people, it's just a few dedicated guys who put in long hours at work and then put in even more hours every evening just to keep the rest of us informed about our Suzukis.

It also isn't free, if you want more functionality and server space maybe you could help by donating a few bucks (like the rest of us) to ensure those few guys who so selflessly give their time don't also have to fork over their own hard-earned cash, too.

The pics you have are great! Rather than use a photobucket account you could create an album (here, on the Forum) and add your pics to posts directly from the album. An album also allows members to stop by and admire your bike, even when you're not posting.

Your bike looks very cool, is that a Sargent recovered seat? Good luck with the build and thanks for posting!

Comment

WHOA! Slow down there, Hoss! I never intended any offense; I simply asked the question since I am very active on numerous other car and bike forums (and I also personally maintain a family forum and run two other websites of my own). I am then intimately familiar with the actual costs of maintaining such a forum.

Hence the question; 1) Is the reason for the purging of threads simply an issue of server space? 2) Is server space really that expensive for the purveyors of the forum!? What can be done to remedy the problem.

I am more than glad to make a donation (it is very typical on the other forums that I frequent to either have a donation drive from time to time, or even for a forum to charge a membership fee for expanded service over and above the most basic of membership services...)!

Either way, I never called the baby ugly and would never presume to; forums such as these are INVALUABLE to the community and it truly is a labour of love for those charged with maintaining it! They have my complete and utmost respect! It's just that it doesn't take a "multi-million dollar company with teams of development people" to simply store or archive more and not purge crucial info (that saves the senior members from answering noob-questions...)

Any way - thanks again for those who toil tirelessly; what's the PayPal address for donations? I will donate the entire proceeds from the sale of the standard pipes off of the bike (in reasonable shape), standard rear shocks in known-good condition and standard brake lines (for those seeking standard hardware and lines in good working order), to the GS Forums! Any takers?

In any event; the seat was apparently a 3-400 dollar rebuild/restore, but I don't know who did it for the PO. All I know is that it is super comfy and it keeps my butt firmly planted when I crank her ear!

Originally posted by 1100E View Post
                        Your comments are a bit unfair, did you know:

This Forum isn't run by a multi-million dollar company with teams of development people, it's just a few dedicated guys who put in long hours at work and then put in even more hours every evening just to keep the rest of us informed about our Suzukis.

It also isn't free, if you want more functionality and server space maybe you could help by donating a few bucks (like the rest of us) to ensure those few guys who so selflessly give their time don't also have to fork over their own hard-earned cash, too.

The pics you have are great! Rather than use a photobucket account you could create an album (here, on the Forum) and add your pics to posts directly from the album. An album also allows members to stop by and admire your bike, even when you're not posting.

Your bike looks very cool, is that a Sargent recovered seat? Good luck with the build and thanks for posting!
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Oh man, another case of being misunderstood in an electronic format. If we were just talking you would have probably figured that I was just sharing some insight and not calling you out.

I only meant to say we're all here to share our love for bikes, specifically Suzukis. I like where you're going with yours, good luck with the rebuild and thanks for sharing some pics. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Comment

Sorry Tom - my fault - too much explaining and detail from the new kid on the block... I didn't mean to come across as indifferent to the efforts of the forum's admins!

Thanks for the encouragement with the bike - I need it; just got screwed on a set of V&H pipes. Sent me the wrong pipes, had to pay more to get the correct pipes, now they're not sending the pipes; simply decided to refund a portion of my money from the eBay auction and to keep penalties and auction fees and re-stocking fees and shipping both ways!

Ah well - just bought the set from Jim - thanks Jim!

Cheers bud!
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Very cool - thanks for doing that!

OK then, I'll swap to the DOT-5 fluid. Any issues with the seals not taking it...?
                              just flush the system real good.
                              if you feel like it take your calipers a part and also your slave cyl.
                              thats up to you.
                              dot 5 = no paint damage or sticking calipers over extended periods of non use.
                              it does cost quite bit more than dot 3 and 4 is the only down side.

Comment

Working...
                              X