No fuss Shock swap for GS1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fuss Shock swap for GS1150

Hi I just saw that the SV650 shock length is only 5mm longer than that of the stock 1150 shock and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the suitability of the SV shock for the 1150. I'm told it is a budget shock and as it's off a bike close to 100kg lighter, I'm thinking it might be too soft for my overloaded 1150.

not 100kg.... more like 70. and sv is around 170kg while an ef is around 240 ish

Comment

Thanks. Mixing up my GS G and GS EF specs

Still I make up another 30Kg imbalance so overall the shock would be carrying approx more than your average pillion when solo. That might be ok but for riding two up on the heavier bike ....... maybe not.

Comment

What about the shock from a sv1000, would that have a higher rated spring???? Just sort of thinking out aloud here....

Comment

If I were you I'd try to pick up a used Ducati shock as cheap as possible like Salty Monk is trying on his 750. It's too stiff for his bike, probably about right for yours.

Comment

The SV shock could be an interesting one for me to look at... What year please? So it's 335mm?

I have a 98 Monster 900 Shock on mine (330mm) but it's very stiff with the stock spring. I put my Nephew on the back (He's 17 & probably about 160lb at least) & it felt about right like that so with the added weight of the 1150 & if you're heavier than my 165lb it should be somewhere close to right for you...

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by taswegian View Post
              What about the shock from a sv1000, would that have a higher rated spring???? Just sort of thinking out aloud here....
              Cheers taswegian, the thought had crossed my mind but they are only 15kg more

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              The SV shock could be an interesting one for me to look at... What year please? So it's 335mm?

I have a 98 Monster 900 Shock on mine (330mm) but it's very stiff with the stock spring. I put my Nephew on the back (He's 17 & probably about 160lb at least) & it felt about right like that so with the added weight of the 1150 & if you're heavier than my 165lb it should be somewhere close to right for you...

Dan
              Hi Dan,
              The shock is from a 2007 model and the seller says that it is for model years incl and between 2003 to 2007.

I must have misread all your earlier posts on this topic as I had thought you said the monster shock was a bit shorter and had less travel. I obviously got confused between your monster shock posts and someone elses posts about a different shock (blade or some such?). But that is good for me as I now know that a monster shock from (what year and model number??) will better suit my purposes.

Cheers

Comment

Sorry all. I got it wrong. The SV shock doesn't have the same type of connection at one end. so unless the U fitting can be swapped for a eye type fitting then it's a no go.

Comment

It's a 98 Monster 900 Showa Shock. It does have less travel but length is the same.

The CBR shock is an inch shorter & has less travel.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X