R/R Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Install

I'm wiring in a new R/R on my 83 GS 750 E .I've heard some guys wire the R/R+ directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse in line,is this ok ? I think it sounds good to take the wiring harness out of the equation, whats your opionion? has anyone done this without a problem? I already know about the single ground wiring which i will do .Thanks

Yes, that is a common wiring solution.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yes, that is a common wiring solution.

and expedient.

It is best to split the R/R (+) output current into

a.)charging and
      b.) primary power current

as the OEM harness normally does.

Adding a single wire from R/R (+) to battery when fresh will be OK but it is more sensitive to corrosion.

If you can't get the voltage drops through the harness and fuse box down then adding the direct connection is next best.

Comment

One thing I noticed on my harness on the 700E, I assume it is the same on the 83' 750, was where the stator leads connect to the harness. The connectors were under the fuel tank, from there the wires just route through the harness not connecting to anything else, and straight to the R/R.

I chose to just go direct to the R/R with the Stator leads to eliminate the additional connectors on that end of the system, and split the + as "Posplayer" mentions as it would normally.

I had also replaced the main positive and negitive wires across the length of the harness with 14g, but involves a lot more work.

I would agree the "direct connection is next best," and easiest/quickest.

If you pull back the tape on the harness enough, not far really, you will see the positive comes from the R/R and is crimp spliced into the main + on the harness, which goes back to the battery anyways.

E

Comment

Thanks for the fast great info. I decided to connect the R/R+ up to where it was originaly at in the harness ,seems to work fine high 14V at 5000rpm. Also did the single post ground, which i'm sure is way better than the original.I put in new battery and a R/R from Duaneage (great kit) and my bike is not only charging good but it seems like its running better also,i'm guessing better spark? thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X