78 GS 750 E Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 750 E Help!

Hey guys, I just got a 78 GS 750 E a week ago and it's an awesome bike(my first) and I'm wanting to do some fluid maintenance on it. I have an oil filter ordered and on the way from a local parts store. I got 3 quarts of 10W40 motor oil.

What I'm looking for is some specs on how much oil it takes, and whats the best oil to use... and any advice you'd offer... Thanks a bunch!

Brent

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi,

I think you will need closer to 4 quarts of oil. The crankcase capacity (in ml) should be stamped into the crankcase near the oil fill plug. Add another 600ml if you are changing the filter too. For example, my crankcase says 2800ml, plus 600, equals 3400ml, or a little over 3.5 quarts. Don't over-fill. Check the level when your done and after you ride it for a little while let it rest for a minute and check the level again. Top off as necessary. The "best" oil is a hotly debated subject and there are gigabytes of electrons available on the subject if you use the Search Function. I'll cut to the chase and tell you to use RotellaT 15w40 diesel engine oil, or similar diesel engine oil (Valvoline, etc). It's cheap and it's good because it has extra zinc and other additives/lubricants that are good for these motors. Check my website for guides to regular maintenance procedures.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X