West Virginia trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Virginia trip

My brother and I rode over 800 miles in two days. This was by far the most riding I have done at one time. Man, there are some great roads in West Viginia. We were on US 33, US 250, US 220 in Virginia, and US 60. My favorite stretches were US 220 in Virginia between Montery and Covington, VA, and on US 60 between Rainelle and Gaulley Bridge. Both of those roads were in great shape, and no significant sand or gravel in the corners. US 60 got a little busy in places however. US 220 was maybe a little less challenging overall, but there was some absolutely beautiful scenery.

US 33 was fun, but parts of the road were in really bad shape and some gravel and sand in quite a few of the turns. I took a few pics and I will post those later today.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM.

Originally posted by toejams1 View Post
    My brother and me rode over 800 miles in two days. This was by far the most riding I have done at one time. Man, there are some great roads in West Viginia. We were on US 33, US 250, US 220 in Virginia, and US 60. My favorite stretches were US 220 in Virginia between Montery and Covington, VA, and on US 60 between Rainelle and Gaulley Bridge. Both of those roads were in great shape, and no significant sand or gravel in the corners. US 60 got a little busy in places however. US 220 was maybe a little less challenging overall, but there was some absolutely beautiful scenery.

US 33 was fun, but parts of the road were in really bad shape and some gravel and sand in quite a few of the turns. I took a few pics and I will post those later today.
    Alot of where you were was where last years WV Rally was held. GREAT roads. And 33 is one of my favorites..Steve, Dogma, RageZro, Kinnet and myself (along with Steves wife and a couple others) will be headed out to Elkins WV over Memorial Day weekend, and we always take 33 from Galapolis straight into Elkins. Not a boring stretch the whole way! We go every year, and its probably one of my favorite trips EVER year..

Comment

Me at a waterfall off US 60 near Gauley Bridge, WV
      Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM.

Comment

US 60 in West Virginia

Falling Spring Falls off US 220 near Covington, VA
        Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM.

Comment

This look familar??

Thats WV 60...just outside of Gullybridge I do believe...

And this is IN Gaullybridge

Comment

Yep,
            I remember riding through there. Awesome roads and some beautiful scenery. I want to return there someday.

Comment

Yep,
              I remember riding through there. Awesome roads and some beautiful scenery. I want to return there someday.
              What'cha doin' Memorial Day weekend?

You would increase the Suzuki presence at a gathering with about 100 GoldWings (and a few others), but it would be another weekend of great riding.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

US 33 and 60 are beautiful roads during the summer, never had a bike on them though.
                I live just over two hours from Elkins, I might head up that way!
                How many miles are you guys doing over Memorial Day?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  What'cha doin' Memorial Day weekend?

You would increase the Suzuki presence at a gathering with about 100 GoldWings (and a few others), but it would be another weekend of great riding.

I really appreciate the invite, and trust me I would love to come. However, I am pretty tethered to home right now. My wife is pregnant with twins and we are expecting them in June. I really can't do any overnight trips at this point. This trip to West Virginia with my brother in April was sort of my last hurrah before the twins come.

Comment

My wife is pregnant with twins and we are expecting them in June. ...
                    Keep in mind that they will come when THEY are ready, won't necessarily be in June.

You will soon see why the bumper snicker exists that says:

I USED TO HAVE TIME, NOW I HAVE TWINS!

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have that same picture of the falls near Covington on my cell phone from when I rode down to deliver the 550 to jonshrader. Actually, I rode down on 81 (blah blah blah) and came home the fun way, thinking "What a great road for biking!"
                      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Working...
                      X