Needle Jet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle Jet Question

Anyone know where to get replacement needle jets for BS34mm carbs? I need to replace the worn out ones for my 82 GS1100EZ motor. They're x-1. Looks like they're discontinued, and MotorcycleCarbParts.com doesn't have x-series.
    Gotta pass emissions here in AZ, so I'm currently running the BS34mm set from my GS1000G motor with the bigger jets. It actually runs well with those carbs' x-8 jets and needles, but I'd like to go back to the originals with my Dynojet kit if possible. Alternatively, anyone have suggestions regarding carb replacement?

They're still available from Suzuki.

These guys have pretty good prices - about $10 a pop for your needles.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I may have a set of stockers.. I will look. I think i ALSO have a set of Canadian needles (adjustable) too if you'd be interested..

Comment

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I need #40 in the fiche drawing, the needle jet. I've got the adjustable Dynojet jet needles, which are in good shape. And yeah, if anyone's got decent used ones, I'm interested!

Comment

Originally posted by J Paster View Post
          Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I need #40 in the fiche drawing, the needle jet. I've got the adjustable Dynojet jet needles, which are in good shape. And yeah, if anyone's got decent used ones, I'm interested!
          The needle jets are #11 in the fiche, that's what your original post asked about...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I guess what I'm trying to communicate is actually the # 40 item. The brass press in part that the needle raises in and out of. I had thought they were called the needle jet, but... I might just be remembering what someone once told me. Regardless, the # 40 item is the description of what I'm trying to obtain. They're supposed to have a nice round bore, but mine have some oval wear, and are preventing the bike from idling lean enough to pass emissions.
            I kinda get the feeling no one makes these, but figured I'd ask here. I do appreciate the responses.

Comment

I've got a coffee can full of those.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Don't know if you can see this pic very well, but I had an issue once with worn & corroded needle jet seats as welll - here's a pic of one I cut in half to expose the ID bore showing corrosion & cavitation that was allowing the fuel to travel between the crossholes essentially unregulated by the needles...

Caused the biked to constantly run VERY rich.

I was able to buy new OEM ones from PartsShark. I'd call them & see if they are still available; sometimes they have access to parts that do not show up on the parts fiche. They were a bit pricey as I remember.

Good luck
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Wow, that's a cool picture! Thanks for the tip. I'll contact them and see if they can get something for me.

Comment

No one makes a replacement needle jet (emulsion tube) for the BS34 any more. The main problem is the needle would vibrate around and wear the top of the tube to an oval shape which causes an overly rich condition that's almost, if not impossible to compensate for.

Take a look at: http://www.factorypro.com/

scroll down the left column to "Buy carb jets, emulsion tubes, needle jets" and then scroll down that about 1/2 way. You'll see a big top pic of what I'm talking about.

Considering the bike you have, you ought to invest in a nice set of Mikuni RS 36mm Flatslides or if you're keeping everything stock, 36mm CV's from a GSXR 750 or 1100. Be sure the spacing is 77mm-93mm-77mm. Those original 34's are holding it back. The CV's will be smoother overall but the Flatslides give an acceleration boost.

Good luck.

Comment

Don, what would you recomend for jetting on those CV 36's for that 1000?

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
                        Don, what would you recomend for jetting on those CV 36's for that 1000?

You're talking about the GS1000G? For that motor, I run 34's. I have an '80 GS1000G and an '80 GS1100ET. The G is a completely different beast than the 1100E motor. I used Dynojet's starting recommendation then tweaked from there.

Comment

Working...
                        X