I Broke my nipples :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Broke my nipples :-)

I did it... The back caliper I soaked and soaked and soaked in WD40 and both brake nipples snapped off GUTTED.

I have drilled them out a bit at a time, I just wanted to know what to do now... do I have to re tap them or can I try and screw new nipples back in.

Hany help much appreciated

Snapping nipples?...hmm, sounds like a personal problem....

Comment

I'd run a tap through there.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

once you got the old stuff out i would run a tap through them as well but be very carefull. The little beveled end on those BLEEDERS has to fit in to the recess at the bottom very securely or they will leak and suck air.. look at a good one and youll see it is tapered at the end to fit into the detent at the bottom of the caliper housing...
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It might be easier to find a caliper off e-bay for cheap and rebuild it.

I purchased 3 fronts and one rear with all the lines and nipples (bleeders), (banjos and bolts) in two auctions for about $60, and one auction the 2 fronts came with 2 sets of EBC pads.

If the nipples snapped off, to me it seems like the caliper is in really rough shape.

E

Comment

Broken nipples.... man this post will get a lot of attention...If you have drilled out and not damaged the seat you should be fine. It is after all a steel nipple it has the ability to deform what's there in the aluminum casting. Probably why it broke too much torque applied.Use a small wrench and hand tighten.... if it doesn't leak you're fine. Just curious did you try an easy out before drilling it into submission?

Comment

Personally, I'd drill and tap before buying a new caliper. Oh, and WD40 is not a penetrating oil.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What ya got?

I have a few spare calipers, what cha got?

Comment

I think I know the problem, ya need to get them nipples cold before they are hard enough to remove.

Comment

I would say an 1980 GS1000G.

And probably the caliper looks like this one,

Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      ... Oh, and WD40 is not a penetrating oil.
                      Use KY instead.

Comment

HAHA Thanks for all your help.. I managed to find a second hand one... I did barely touch the bleeders and the just snapped off.

So maybe goosed before I got the bike.

thanks again for all your help... have loads more questions so any help always appreciated

Comment

Working...
                        X