Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Mileage for 1100GL

Hello All,

I have an 82 1100GL. I never had one before and need some advice.

The bike seems to run well to me. Starts right up. Plugs are dry and look good. Have taken the bike out around town a few times. Changed all fluids, air filter and went for my first "long" ride today. Filled up the tank and literally ran out of gas at the gas pump 125 miles later.

This doesn't seem right. Shouldn't I be getting better mileage? Anything I need to look for or do?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The "L" models have notoriously small tanks, some only 3.5 gallons. At 40 miles per gallon or so you would be hitting the reserve around 125 miles. Did you calculate your mileage? How big is your tank exactly? 40mpg is not bad for that bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I have an 82 GS1100GL(Z). 40mpg is right at what I get - a little higher, little lower depending on how hard I ride it or how much time I sit in traffic. Mine has a 4.5 gallon tank. I can get to about 120 miles on a tank before I have to switch to reserve.
      Ken
      Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I have (3) 82' GS1100GLZ bikes the standard tank. 4.5gals total. about 3.31gals to reserve, 1.19gals of reserve. I achieve 50 to 55 mpg on all (3) bikes. Spirited driving, back roads, highway, full vetter touring, naked, stock exhaust, empty 4-1 exhaust, solo, (2) up, summer, fall,, winter, spring. Rare to see it fall below 48mpg.

Comment

Well based on the tank being 4.5 total I guess you guys are right I am not doing too bad. Thanks for pulling my head out of my tail....

Comment

Working...
          X