Ignition coil blew up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition coil blew up

I am lost I thought my R/R was bad causing my headlight and occasionally a fuse to blow and then one of my Coils literally blew up. I have read for hours in here about R/R and stator and i am not sure that is the problem although I plan to test my Charging system when i get a new coil I have found a couple of bad wire conections to the rear lights but that is all i can see wrong I have not had any noticeable problems with my Battery. please let me know if you have ever heard of this or have had it happen and what would cause this

Hi Mr. Metalicalf,

I glad you've joined us. Please tell us what bike you have. I'm sure you have a bike that is 25 or 30 years old. One of the first things you should do is check and clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness, from the headlight bucket to the tail light, including the fuse box. You bike will love you for it. It sounds like you have a bad short to ground somewhere. Do you have a multimeter? You will need it to test wiring and go through The Stator Papers.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If the R/R is bad and doesn't regulate than the battery is holding the voltage down but if the fuse for that blew, than the voltage coming out of the R/R is much higher (guessing 20v) and could have overloaded the coils and burned headlight,,

Been there done that Bike got me home though

Blew the headlight and 1/3 of the 6 diodes in the R/R and the fuse, but no exploding coils,

However only two things come to mind

1 too much voltage.

2 Age of the coil

Good luck

Comment

none of my fuses blew when the coil blew but i have been thinking the lighting and fuse problems have to be due to the regulator I have spent a lot of time in the stator pages and have printed the fault finder so that when i get a new coil i can go through thoroughly and check everything

Comment

Hi,

While you're waiting for parts, go ahead and check the entire wiring harness for worn insulation, shorts, burned and brittle wire, melted connectors and insulation, etc, and clean all of the connections and grounds.

Here are a couple of articles from my website:

How To Repair Your Wiring Harness
          Cleaning Your Wiring Harness

Take a wire brush and use it to clean both ends of the big ground cable on your battery, yes, even the end that connects under the engine, all the blinker stalks where they mount to the frame, anywhere there might be corrosion.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Are you running the right amp fuses?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

all of the fuses are correct except for the headlamp fuse is 5 amps over

Comment

Is there anywhere to buy a complete wiring harness or would i have to rebuild my own

Comment

Working...
                X