Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell is this scraping noise in my motor...Normal?(video clip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell is this scraping noise in my motor...Normal?(video clip)

Well I've been having this strange noise on and off for a while now.
    I never gave it a second thought until recently, for some reason!

It sounds like something scraping around in my motor, hopefully not piston rings.....but it's like a scratching noise.

The noise is almost completely random...sometimes I start up the bike, and it does it for a few minutes, then it goes away once i drive.

Sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

Is this normal or no?

Either way, the noise is usually noticable, not really loud, but I can easily hear it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2010, 11:38 PM.

Timing chain or tensioner loose or worn

I've seen one actually rotate back and forth at idle before and the chain made allot more noise.

Video is really nice to have

Comment

Check the BassCliff site for tensioner rebuild instructions
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

*deleted*, ****.........thanks i'll check it out.

I swear if one more thing breaks on this bike, im just going to drive it off a cliff!(and bail out at the last moment)

You guys think it'll make it thru the summer.
        Because I might as well just do an entire ****ing engine rebuild while Im at it right? Because
        it requires taking the heads off and all that bull****?

I already have a few head leaks on this thing, but they are very minor, and was waiting till winter to do it.(but that's if I don't stunt jump this thing now like the dukes of hazard.....I HATE timing issues....)
        Last edited by administrator; 04-16-2010, 09:16 AM. Reason: Let's watch the cussing!

Comment

Tensioner is on the back of the engine, under the carbs, and comes off with a couple of screws. No biggie getting it off, other than the carbs should come off first and you should put the engine at 1-4 T first so you can judge if the chain jumps time (it shouldn't).
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You could just put 1/2 or 1 turn more tension on the outer tensioner knob spring and see if that quiets it down. My spring was tired and it caused an unnerving rattle from about 2.5k-5k RPM. When it kicked in I could see the knob vibrating; just putting a finger on it (not turning it with the engine running!) quieted it down temporarily. Just don't mess it up or you WILL be doing an engine tear down. Like all springs, that one's going to get tired after a few decades of service. The full list of rebuild parts only costs about $10, and other than removing the carbs is a dead easy job.

Comment

Alrite sounds easy, i thought you had to take the timing chain off or something.

I can't find the "how-to" on his website, i'll just find it in my shop manual I guess.

Comment

It's a pretty easy deal.

Two bolts and it's off (once you pull the carbs)

Just follow the tutorial and you should be OK

Like many other things on the bike, every 30 years or so it needs some maintenance
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

When you look at the tensioner you will see a nurled nut and a washer behind it. Thats the spring part. On the other side you will see a nut with a slot in the centre. Undo the nut about 1/2 a turn and then move the slot about half a turn also to lock the centre part of the tensioner before removing it. Otherwise you will spend best part of a day looking for the centre part that shot off in some direction.

Comment

Alright thanks A LOT guys!

I'll start jumping on this Monday(gotta work this weekend)

I've seen that part on the engine before, never knew what it was till now!
                    It has some oil leaking around it, from what it looks like.

Just per' say, how long can I ride without fixing this?
                    Should I fix it right away, or will the chain pop off soon if I don't tighten it?

Comment

If you have a good selection of skinny little wrenches and even skinnier little fingers it can be done without pulling the carbs, since pulling the carbs is such an uber bitch on the 650G.
                      Good luck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        If you have a good selection of skinny little wrenches and even skinnier little fingers it can be done without pulling the carbs, since pulling the carbs is such an uber bitch on the 650G.
                        Good luck.
                        Yeah really, i was thinking about that!
                        I have pretty big hands, so that's probably not an option for me.

Im a lot faster with yanking the carbs off now, I can usually get em off in 10 or 15 minutes or so im guessing, once the gas tank is off.
                        Getting them back on takes a tad longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                          When you look at the tensioner you will see a nurled nut and a washer behind it. Thats the spring part. On the other side you will see a nut with a slot in the centre. Undo the nut about 1/2 a turn and then move the slot about half a turn also to lock the centre part of the tensioner before removing it. Otherwise you will spend best part of a day looking for the centre part that shot off in some direction.
                          Be careful with the nut with the slot...I took my tensioner off today as part of an ongoing nightmare that is another story, and when I tried to loosen that nut it snapped right off. If its stiff, might wanna shoot some penetrating oil or something on it.

Comment

Alright guys, I have to go for inspection within the next 2 days.

You think I will be okay driving it a few miles?

It doesn't always make that noise, kind of randomly, so I'm assuming it's not that bad yet. But I have to order parts,etc, which takes a few days.....
                            It drives great, but is it a dire emergency to fix?
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X