Camshaft tensioner rebuild and valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft tensioner rebuild and valves

So I rebuilt my camshaft tensioner the other day, replaced the seals and so forth thanks to the info Bass Cliff has on his site. It all went well and when I installed it and loosened the retaining screw, I heard the satisfying sound of a pop as the piston was released.

My question is that I understand from several other postings involving the camshaft tensioner that moving the engine at all while the camshaft tensioner is off can cause some problems, but now that it's back on, is it safe to move on to adjusting my valves or will this cause problems as well?

I have not run the bike at all since re-installing the camshaft tensioner two days ago. I kind of figured since my tank was off anyway, that I'd go ahead with a valve adjustment (first time doing that on a bike).

I'm guessing I'm OK here, but there are so many experienced people on this site, I thought I'd ask before proceeding.

Thanks!

Yes if the tensioner is back on the job you can rotate the engine, if there is any question check the cam timing to see if it jumped a tooth or two.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post
      I kind of figured since my tank was off anyway, that I'd go ahead with a valve adjustment (first time doing that on a bike).
      Well, then, I kinda figure it's about time to extend an invitation to read the last part of my sig.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks! And the e-mail is on its way, Steve. Thanks again for the offer!

Comment

Working...
        X