tire pres.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire pres.

I got a 81 1100e and am wondering what the tire pres. should be. I weigh 250, the bike is stock (no bags or fairing), The tires are new d404s dunlop. Thanks

Hi,

There are factory recommendations in your manual. But those are for 30 year old tire technology. There is also a general "10% rule". Ideally, from a cold tire to operational temperature your tire pressure should go up no more than 10%. If it goes up more than 10%, your cold pressure is too low. If it goes up less than 10%, your cold pressure is too high. It takes some experimentation to find out exactly where you should start.

When your tires are cold, measure your pressure. After a half hour to an hour of good riding, your tires are good and warm, stop and measure again. Compare the two.

For example, if my cold pressure is 32psi and my warm pressure is 35psi, then it's gone up very close to 10%. My tire is properly inflated. Never exceed the manufacturer recommendations for tire pressure. I generally run 30-32psi in the front and 34-36psi in the rear.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I run 40psi front and rear in ms 750, but I'm close to 300. Seems more stable at that pressure.

Comment

It seems to depend on the tire brand and model. Years ago I caused the first ME33 Laser tire I installed to go flat by using the pressure setting in the owners manual-I spilled the air out of it due to too-low pressure. The factory settings quoted in the manual are for the Mag Mopus tires or whatever was on it from new in 1981. I have always run Metzeler Lasers exclusively for the last twenty years and they demand a much higher setting-42 in the front and 47 in the rear. I use the numbers on the sidewalls.

I

Comment

Working...
        X