Best way to fix a stripped out oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to fix a stripped out oil drain plug

I was wondering if anyone had a great and easy way to fix this problem? I am thinking I will have to retap the hole. If I use a standard tap would it be possible to avoid the drill? I was thinking it would be a little bigger than the hole and cutting the threads would be easy, but using a metric thread would be a whole size bigger meaning I would have to drill the hole first then tap it. I have done this before and know how, but do not know the different sizes and how close they are. Does anyone got any ideas?

search it is common
    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I did mine the easy way. I replaced the whole pan.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

This is about the 20th thread I've seen here on this subject. How about a search to find an answer? No you say... Okay then. Go to the auto parts store and get an oversized drain plug. the stocker is 14 mm so ask for the oversize for that and torque it in - it's self-tapping so no need to drill and tap.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          This is about the 20th thread I've seen here on this subject. How about a search to find an answer? No you say... Okay then. Go to the auto parts store and get an oversized drain plug. the stocker is 14 mm so ask for the oversize for that and torque it in - it's self-tapping so no need to drill and tap.
          Yep, I've done it twice, and it's even easier than Kpark's idea of replacing the pan.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Yep, I've done it twice, and it's even easier than Kpark's idea of replacing the pan.

You do have a good point Steve. I almost forgot about the exhaust bolt that I broke off just so I could take off the oil pan.
            I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Thanks, I didn't relieze it was that common. I could not get the link to come up. I will try a search if it will make the motorcycle gods happy.
              I have never heard of the oversized drain plug. I ask at autozone the gal looked at me like I was crazy. I was thinking of tap sizes more than anything but I will try a different auto parts store? Thank you for putting up with my short comings.

Comment

Common thread can be repaired with Helicoil insert or get another pan I have one for the cost of shipping....

Comment

search worked great got the answer really quick. 14x1.25 same as a spark plug. Who knew? Redoing the forum must be working . I have waded through alot of post to get answers. I will try it more often. Just was wanting a quick answer so bike could get fixed. I just put a swing arm and swingarm bearings on it and cheap shocks also. It is running better every fix. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
                    Thanks, I didn't relieze it was that common. I could not get the link to come up. I will try a search if it will make the motorcycle gods happy.
                    I have never heard of the oversized drain plug. I ask at autozone the gal looked at me like I was crazy. I was thinking of tap sizes more than anything but I will try a different auto parts store? Thank you for putting up with my short comings.

Why would you ask a girl
                    I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

I like a different method, I drill and tap the plug for a smaller bolt, then install it permanently with JB Weld. The smaller bolt becomes the plug, it is now steel on steel threads so there will be no more stripping. You may need to cut channels in the old plug before you install it to be able to drain all the oil out, as the plug sticks up into the pan a little bit higher than the inside surface of the pan.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well I got the self tapping bolt but could only get a 14x 1.50. It worked great so far. I took a test drive about 10 miles and no problems.

Why would you ask a girl
                        I was at auto zone for about 20 min. two minutes to pick up 3 quarts of oil and one can brake cleaner and 18 minutes waiting to check out. The casher was a girl, didn't want to lose more time waiting on someone else.

Common thread can be repaired with Helicoil insert or get another pan I have one for the cost of shipping....
                        Thanks for the offer of a oil pan, I was worried that it may have been an option.
                        It sucks when you break something trying to fix something completely different. I am going to replace the wheel bearing and the fork springs and should be done

Comment

Working...
                        X