gear oil in the engine...what amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear oil in the engine...what amount?

hI Does nyone know how much gear box oil goes into the engine on a gs1100g for the shaft please?

Is it a specific amount or just fill to the top like the fianal driver casing ?

You put in just as much as your manual says.

You DO have a manual, don't you?

In an 850, it's 340-400 ml or 11.5-13.5 oz.

The proper way to determine how much is to open the level screw under the left cover, add oil through the fill hole on top until it comes out the level hole. With the bike on the centerstand, of course.

There is no way you can fill the final drive casing to the top, either. The fill hole is below center, you only fill to that level.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi I filled the final drive casing up till it came out of the top.

the other bit is on the left side of the ening it says fill up with sae 90 gear oil. it has a filler cap at the top but can't find a drain valve.

I have a gs100 manual but not a shaft and can't seem to find the bit that tell me.

I could do with draining it and then starting again

Comment

Originally posted by bikerzx7r1981 View Post

the other bit is on the left side of the ening it says fill up with sae 90 gear oil. it has a filler cap at the top but can't find a drain valve.

I have a gs100 manual but not a shaft and can't seem to find the bit that tell me.

You need to take off the shift lever and the cover right behind the shift lever. This will expose a drain plug towards the bottom and a 10 mm phillips head bolt with a gasket on it about halfway up on the RH side under the cover. Drain it then fill it until it comes out the hole where that 10 mm phillips head bolt is. Once the gear oil starts coming out, insert the bolt and you're done. This is all done with the bike on the center stand.

Comment

You used too much oil, which is dangerous. Please do NOT ride the bike in that condition since the oil is going to splooge out of the vent on top of the crankcase and could oil down your rear tire.

Basscliff has a tutorial on how to change the oil. Please go to his website and look it up. Basically you need to fill the oil up until it starts to come out the small hole as already mentioned. Do not overfill. And please do some homework before you attack maintenance tasks like this or you could wind up getting hurt (which we don't want).
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks all, I found the tutorial... brilliant stuff, I will sort it tommorow, I filled it just where he said to i.e below that grove bit when you look in.

thanks for your help

Comment

thanks all, I found the tutorial... brilliant stuff, I will sort it tommorow, I filled it just where he said to i.e below that grove bit when you look in.

thanks for your help
              Hi,

I need to update that tutorial. If you read the addendum to that tutorial you will see it mentioned to remove the level plug, fill only until it starts coming out, then replace the level plug. The level plug is above and to the right of the larger drain plug. Let me see if I can find Mr. bwringer's excellent picture...

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X