Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter problem

Good morning,

I have a '81 GS1100 with an attitude. My old battery wouldnt hold a charge so I replaced it. Now she will not start. There is anger. Clutch, kill switch, and conectors appear good. When I hit the starter button, I can hear a click from the starter cellinoid (sp?) but the starter will not turn over. I have an idea where to start looking, but I was hopeing that there may be a quick answer and fix. A point in the best direction would be much appreciated. Winters finally over and I'm itching to get out.

Just to check...did you charge the new battery? Even though they often say they are charged, sometimes they aren't...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yup,

Definitaly charged. Lots of power to the lights.

Comment

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out - my GS1100 does that frequently - I hit the starter button and hear the click. I've about given up fixing it - everything checks out as good - and it does it regardless of whether or not the battery is fully charged.
        Ken

Comment

Bad connections to the starter? Bad brushes?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bad ground? Battery/motor, battery/frame?
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Good battery connections? battery charged? Take an old screwdriver and short the two connections on the solenoid to see if the starter is working if it still won't turn take the starter out - probably needs new brushes

Comment

Leadhead, The solenoid must be effectively grounded to allow current to flow to starter motor.GS models depend on ground through battery frame.
                Possible solution,take a piece of #14 insulated wire and crimpon two 1/4" ring terminal lugs.Remove solenoid mounting bolt use piece of sand paper to clean surface area,attach lug to bolt and reinstall.The other end of wire goes to negative terminal at battery.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2010, 08:38 PM. Reason: clarify step

Comment

Jump the solenoid and see if the starter turns.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

SO....jumped the selinoid. Starter didnt turn, so that's that. Now I have to deal with the fact that when I jumped it somehow I got a wiring fire!!! Well, I guess riding season has just started.

Comment

I have starters if you need one. Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Ray, but I have a parts bike.

Comment

The fire shouldn't have happened. What wire/s went up?
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ground cables attached to the selinoid mount and ground to the frame.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Leadhead,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X