GS450 air filter pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 air filter pods

I'm curious, why do people only recommend K&N pods? If I want to convert to pods, it won't necessarily be for performance purposes. I just want to get rid of the GD-impossible airbox. If I went with an off-brand of pods (waaay cheaper than K&N) would I lose performance vs. the airbox, or not gain as much performance as with K&Ns?

Thanks!

Your airbox has been carefully designed by blokes who know what they are doing and specifically for your bike. Pods are designed to be relatively universal, sizes excepted, and some of the cheap ones have been designed by numpties and manufactured at lowest cost.

Some pods are so badly designed / manufactured that they are actually more restrictive than your original box plus they don't have effective bellmouths. Hence, not only do they flow less air but they also hold less fuel in the bellmouth (or complete absence of bellmouth). In addition, some pods foul up in the rain, don't filter out dust etc and some do wierd things in crosswinds, especially on idle.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
    X