Yet another broken part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another broken part

Working on my stator cover gasket replacement today in hopes to patch the weeping gasket seal. I was attempting to pull out the metal Oring to put through the other cover to help me apply new gasket. Part #20 Crankcase Fishe... and the darn thing broke when I was using a pair of plier to pull it... I figured hey I should be able to get this replaced.... No.... apparently the dam thing is not available from the dealer... anyone have a spare one of these... or know what hardware replacement I can use to fill this.

So frustrating....
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2010, 10:42 PM.

Ok, I am guessing it is the dowel pin you are talking about.
    If they dont come out real easy, you cant force them they will break, but you already know that
    I dont even try to remove them unless it is a must.
    I dont have one around, but likely someone will come along to help.
    The time i needed one, I went to the bike scrap yard and they gave me one free.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Mood = Annoyed....

I clipped on to it and was pulling on it and the thing just had a piece come right off it... I'm guessing this piece was already getting weak and my tugging was enough to break it ... at that point I had to pull it out which ultimately destroyed the darn thing. For free huh... that is one word that the bike wrecking yards in my neck of the woods never heard of. I will see if I have some luck with them though I think they are closed on sundays...

#20 - in the fishe....as I now have calmed down enough to paste it myself...

CrackCase Cover
      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2010, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I'm sure I have one PM me with address I'll send it out

Comment

I've seen dowels at hardware stores.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No dice...

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I've seen dowels at hardware stores.
            I was thinking the I could probably get something from a hardware store to fit in a pinch... without the measurements I am firing blind and I suppose if I get a spare one mailed to me I will hit up the hardware store just to see if the option is available. So far odds of me with finding things like this on the fly have been terrible. Best just go with the actual part and take the guessing out of it.

I would think the size of these things would not change between models but maybe they did and suzki is just laughing at my delima. I was competing in a car rally today ( took 2nd place in my class, 9th overall out of 30 cars least that is a nice moral booster thrashign the rally car around very refreshing ) the yard unfortunately closed before I could drop in they do not do call in favors for something like this either...figures...'said something like that would be ~$10 or so and I just wanted to rip that person through my cell phone and ring their neck

gs road racer - if you have a spare you will part with thank you!!! PM Sent

Does this thing actually run oil or is it litterally just a support thing?
            Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2010, 03:17 AM.

Comment

It's a centering thing
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                It's a centering thing
                I call it an annoying thing

Comment

I've got a drawer full of these things.

Measure your old one -- we need outside diameter and length in mm. Fairly precise, please, or at least within 1mm.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    I've got a drawer full of these things.

Measure your old one -- we need outside diameter and length in mm. Fairly precise, please, or at least within 1mm.
                    I will get the measurements of the part and post them here later. I have another gentleman who has offered to dig up one too. Much appreciated!

Update:

here they are 'mm'

outside dia:13.12-12.88mm
                    length 18.33- 18.44 mm

sorry for the approx the piece i have is pretty mangled...what is left of it anyway
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

That should be close enough -- PM your address and I'll check my stash and throw one or two of these dowels in an envelope.

However, it'll take three days or so to get there from Indy. Is there anyone closer who can help out? Anyone who's done much GS engine work probably has these around.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 04-21-2010, 04:19 PM.
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        That should be close enough -- PM your address and I'll check my stash and throw one or two of these dowels in an envelope.

However, it'll take three days or so to get there from Indy. Is there anyone closer who can help out? Anyone who's done much GS engine work probably has these around.
                        PM Sent whatever speed is fine

Comment

Repaired

Recieved the parts and got put to use. Bike is back online Thank you!

Comment

Woohooo!

I just love a happy ending!
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                            X