Oil seal clutch shaft 650g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil seal clutch shaft 650g

Has anyone replaced the oil seal for the clutch shaft ( pinion shaft) on a650g? Looks like a pull ff and push on part. Mine's spiting a bit of oil. Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

On the clutch cover?
    Dig it out and install new.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef,

Yes on the clutch cover. I see from the parts fische that there is a bearing below the seal. The shaft has a slight wobble to it. Any recomendatios weither to replace. What kind of job is it to replace the bearing? Thanks!

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

If it wobbles bad you'll just keep eating seals until it's fixed.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I am in the process of replaceing the pinion shaft seal today. It took 2 hours or so to get the seal and bearing out. I took some pictures for those of you who may be interested.

First I tried useing a pick ( hook end) as some had recomended. The seal is in there real tight, and the pick broke first pull I had it hooked on the metal portion of the seal.

I proceed to strip the rest of the rubber off the metal ring to see if there was anyway to get the remaining portion of the hooked pick to grab hold.

I wound up getting a piece of old curtian and laying it on the garage floor and using punches, bolts, brass rods and an old file to break free. I wanted to replace the bearing at the same time, to avoid it at a future date. Not sure I really needed to as it turns out. The angle is such that you need a 6" long 1/8" pointed and slightly bent rod to engage the dimple in the end of the shaft. If you were only replacing the seal, a 1/4" , extra long center punch would work. I had to bend the last inch of a file to create enough clearence to push the seal and bearing out. I laid the cover on the cloth and gripped it between my legs to hold it steady while I tried to avoid breaking or denting the cover.

Here is a shot of a few of the things I tried to drive the seal and bearing out with.

I'll try to get the seal and new bearing back in tomarrow. DPage kindly sent me a tool he made to drive the new seal and bearing in with. I post pictures of the tool when I'm done.

It was a little nerve racking, no blood or swearing involved.

Charlie G
          Last edited by Charlie G; 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Comment

"It was a little nerve racking, no blood or swearing involved."

Nice tutorial! thanks, I showed the pics to my bike to threaten it.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Here is the shaft, bearing and seal laid out as they go into the cover.

Tapping the bearing in with the tool DPage made for his 850 and forward onto me, for my use.

Bearing installed. There is a very slight play in the upward/down movement of the shaft at this point.

Seal seated, but not driven home.

Tool placed on seal to finish.

Seal driven home into the case. There is no noticeable play upward or downward movement in the shaft at this point. I am unsure if I should have driven it in so tight. Time will tell. Your coments welcome.

Thanks DPage!

cg
              Last edited by Charlie G; 06-03-2011, 12:55 AM.
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

Great Pictures! I also tried to remove an oil seal (gearshifting shaft) with a pick, which is no longer a pick. I will have to try and figure out a way tomorrow. I was worried too that I was ruining something internal to the engine, as I had assumed the seal was purely rubber - I am glad to see you in your posts that the seals usually have metal in them. There was also a spring in mine!
                Cheers,
                Jonah

1979 GS1000 w/h full fairings, 65k, Winter Project
                1978 GS550C, 30k
                http://1978gs550c.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Joneman View Post
                  Great Pictures! I also tried to remove an oil seal (gearshifting shaft) with a pick, which is no longer a pick. I will have to try and figure out a way tomorrow. I was worried too that I was ruining something internal to the engine, as I had assumed the seal was purely rubber - I am glad to see you in your posts that the seals usually have metal in them. There was also a spring in mine!
                  I'd be interested in what you run into with the replacement of the shift shaft seal, as I am considering replacing mine.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Gearshifting shaft oil seal - process

Hello Charlie,

My original thread for my repairs is here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=180416

I will update it later today once I get the seal out. I am also looking at replacing the clutch engagement rod seal too, but this thread makes me unsure if I should bother:
                    Cheers,
                    Jonah

1979 GS1000 w/h full fairings, 65k, Winter Project
                    1978 GS550C, 30k
                    http://1978gs550c.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X