re-syncing carbs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-syncing carbs question

When I did this last year, I did not plug my petcock vac line. The bike runs well, but not perfect. I recently received my 'good' sync gauge, a carb tune, as I quickly learned how much of a PITA the MotionPro POS one is to use. I'm wondering in advance as to how far off my air-fuel setting may be off

WAY off.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I finally got a set of good REAL Mercury sticks.. If ya want, bring it down sometime, and we can sync em up. I can do the VMs with my eyes closed...Still trying to master the CV carbs though..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        I finally got a set of good REAL Mercury sticks.. If ya want, bring it down sometime, and we can sync em up. I can do the VMs with my eyes closed...Still trying to master the CV carbs though..
        That's awesome! After a long, unsuccessful quest for them I went ahead and ordered the Carbtune

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
          That's awesome! After a long, unsuccessful quest for them I went ahead and ordered the Carbtune
          So now TCK will be coming to your house!
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            I can do the VMs with my eyes closed...Still trying to master the CV carbs though..
            It's a bit of a trade-off.

With the VMs, you have four adjustments to make.
            With the CVs, you only have three, but that center one's a bugger.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
              ... I quickly learned how much of a PITA the MotionPro POS one is to use.
              Which model do you have? I have used two of their three models with no operational problems.

The only problem I had was with the construction of their model that used mercury. The lid over the reservoir would open FAR too easily.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Which model do you have? I have used two of their three models with no operational problems.

The only problem I had was with the construction of their model that used mercury. The lid over the reservoir would open FAR too easily.

It was the current offering from MotionPro. The fluid develops bubbles in it and the process of unhooking the unit, turning the calibration screws out and shaking the unit like a thermometer too remove them, then reconnection it , recalibrating it is just absurd!

Comment

Working...
                X