Cannon Blast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannon Blast?

I replaced my coils and tried to start my 1980 GS1000G. But I still have no fire, but when I turn the switch off it goes off like a cannon out off the exhaust. I have gone through all the ignition test I can find online and in my clymer. I just don't get fire at the plugs, until I turn the switch off when all the power goes away. Please help.

theignition switch is most likely cruddy and corroded inside..you crank and crank and it fills the cylinders and exhaust with fuel. Then as you jiggle the key just right brief electrical pulse fires the coils and that you cannon going off.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't know the 80 GS1000 that well but I might start looking for an open or short in the wires from the pick ups to the ignition module, check wires, any clamps and rub areas and connectors. It sounds like the coils are powered up with no interruption till the ignition off collapses the coil field causing a spark.

Comment

the last winter project 750 we just finished for my buddy Scot did the same thing. I went to radio shack and got some electrical component cleaner/ lubricant and it never did it again. took the switch apart and cleaned it with the spray and q tips.. a dab of dielectric gease on the connection points and it neer did it again...just sayin. I would also check all the wiring harness connections and all the frame grounds as well. Clean and grease.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I know you probably got the relay wiring right. Just for grins though, which wire did you run to the relay to provide signal for firing the coils? It should have been the positive wire that runs to both coils.

Comment

I used the o/w where it split to 3. I cut 1 of the coil wires out because I used a 4 prong relay. I still have the one wire going to the ignitor. I got 12.22 vdc on + side of the coil, and I got 1.78 vdc on the - side of the coil. I also Have 11.6 at the ignitor. and 0.9 vdc on the ground of the ignitor. The plugs just won't fire with it switched on. I did have problems before I did the relay mod. I found the coils bad so I replaced them. The one thing that got me about the coils is I got no reading between the plugcaps. nothing on the old of the new. What does that mean?

Comment

Working...
            X