Fyi: little mod for the lights On/Off switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fyi: little mod for the lights On/Off switch

Most gs's have this switch and most bypass the stator wires that go to it and since its illegal to run without daytime running lights where I am this is what I did to my 81 GS400L

First take the hand control apart. there are 5 wires , two are the ones for the stator (you can tell by the colors) and the other 3 are for lights. 1 is power 1 is rear light and 1 is headlight. As always refer to your individual wiring diagram first.

Simply unsolder the last 3 and solder them together. Cover with heat shrink and reassemble.

Now you have an accessory switch that can be used for things like lights, heated grips, heated seats or what ever you want, not to mention there are 3 connections on that switch that could still be of use.

thanks

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
    Most gs's have this switch and most bypass the stator wires that go to it and since its illegal to run without daytime running lights where I am this is what I did to my 81 GS400L

First take the hand control apart. there are 5 wires , two are the ones for the stator (you can tell by the colors) and the other 3 are for lights. 1 is power 1 is rear light and 1 is headlight. As always refer to your individual wiring diagram first.

Simply unsolder the last 3 and solder them together. Cover with heat shrink and reassemble.

Now you have an accessory switch that can be used for things like lights, heated grips, heated seats or what ever you want, not to mention there are 3 connections on that switch that could still be of use.

thanks
    There are also three reasons I can think of that might make that switch worth keeping stock and functional.

1 I've heard a rumor (just the merest hint of a rumor!) that once every million years or so the charging system on a GS may let out the magic smoke and stop charging the battery. In that case, turning off the lights will at least double the distance you can limp home on just the battery.

2 Even with a functional charging system, some of us ride in weather that's cold enough to make the first start of the day an iffy thing sometimes, so ... turn off the lights ... every bit helps
    (Yeah, yeah, yeah ... check the valves, clean the carbs ... I'll get to it eventually)

3 I've upgraded to an HID headlight (NOT the bogus hid-look bulbs ... the real kind ... with a ballast) I LOVE IT .... SWEET
    But the ballast goes into low voltage protection when cranking the starter. That supposedly causes the bulb to age faster

-

So, you be a slave to the Man and obey the Fuzz, I'll keep my lighting switch till they pry it out of my cold non-illuminated fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
      There are also three reasons I can think of that might make that switch worth keeping stock and functional.

1 I've heard a rumor (just the merest hint of a rumor!) that once every million years or so the charging system on a GS may let out the magic smoke and stop charging the battery. In that case, turning off the lights will at least double the distance you can limp home on just the battery.

2 Even with a functional charging system, some of us ride in weather that's cold enough to make the first start of the day an iffy thing sometimes, so ... turn off the lights ... every bit helps
      (Yeah, yeah, yeah ... check the valves, clean the carbs ... I'll get to it eventually)

3 I've upgraded to an HID headlight (NOT the bogus hid-look bulbs ... the real kind ... with a ballast) I LOVE IT .... SWEET
      But the ballast goes into low voltage protection when cranking the starter. That supposedly causes the bulb to age faster

-

So, you be a slave to the Man and obey the Fuzz, I'll keep my lighting switch till they pry it out of my cold non-illuminated fingers.
      Not making a case one way or the other, just providing a bit of rebuttal:

1) Pulling the headlight fuse will accomplish the same thing, although it does require the effort to pull a side cover for access.
      Pulling a fuse instead of turning off the light switch also keeps all three legs of the stator in play.

2) I like the idea of turning off the headlight for starting, but I have installed a relay to do that for me. I use the 87a contact for headlights, so it is "fail-safe". The trigger is connected to the yellow/green wire at the starter solenoid. When the solenoid is activated to start the bike, the relay is activated, which opens the contact to the headlight, turning it OFF.

3) I have thought about an HID conversion, but there are so many bogus ones out there. Which one did you get?
      Sidenote here: Do not consider an HID light if you also plan to run a headlight modulator. The two are just NOT compatible.

Last edited by Steve; 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X