Oh the tangled web we weave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the tangled web we weave

when at first we practice to deceive (ourselves that we can handle a little electrical wiring challenge).

The problem. My GS1150 left control indicator thumb knob had been broken and repaired by the PO, but it didn't work well. The original thumb knob had been replaced by a smaller one that didn't cover the big hole behind it and the flat cover piece that he installed (behind the knobby bit to cover the hole) moved all over the place and the switch occasionally jammed in the middle when I wanted to indicate and the self canceling function wasn't happening..... So! I thought I would replace the front part of the switch (that the cables are connected to) with a spare one I had from a GS1100G. But the replacement switch appeared to be wired differently (it has the head light plug on the end of it along with the same plug and only one extra wire instead of 2 to connect to other parts of the loom). So I decided that I'd see if I could get the knobby bit off my spare switch so I could put it onto the one installed on the bike to cover the hole. Yup! I broke it The front part of the switch doesn't appear to be dismantled. Doh!

Anyhoo, as I am intending to replace the non original instruments (with no tacho) with an original set and had noticed that the connections were different, I decided to investigate the wiring (which had been hidden behind flexible ducting and more tape). The photo shows what I found in the headlight bucket ("Bucket" actually rhymes with the answer).

Wires hacked off (some of the instrument connections I assume) and the headlight plug attached with el-cheapo crimp connections???

I'm not sure of what I'm looking at (obviously a butchered mess) and don't have the right connector for the headlamp (assuming I can work out which wires to attach to what. Anyone got any ideas or a spare wiring loom???

Panic not. I've sourced a complete replacement loom so I'll have a level playing field as a starting point. Bummer about busting my switch though. Too long too late pottering in the garage makes an already dull mind duller. Might be able to get one with the loom for another $50

Gonna pop down and get the triple tree off now and crack open the forks to see if there was any fluid in them

Comment

I missed this first time around, if you need a hand let me know. I might be able to do some phone sparkying for you......
      How were Baz's forks?

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
        I missed this first time around, if you need a hand let me know. I might be able to do some phone sparkying for you......
        How were Baz's forks?
        Gidday Shane, Hope all is well in Outram.

Forks on max preload are way too soft (about 50mm static sag) springs are 12mm over service limits. A 25mm spacer was installed and 250ml of dirty oil (18ml under spec but maybe trapped in damper). Will try a 50 to 60mm spacer and see how that goes. I measured spring x coils and worked out that the springs will still compress 50mm more than the 135mm travel of the forks so should be ok ... hopefully.

Cheers for the offer, hopefully an original (un butchered) loom will make it easier.

Comment

Working...
        X