torqued oil pan bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torqued oil pan bolt

Let says a friend of mine hypothetically torqued the oil drain bolt while doing an oil change. Now the bike is losing oil, not at a crazy rate, but at a rate that the problem needs to be rectified... hypothetically of course...

I have the proper wrench too, not sure why I didn't use it...ugh.

Also torqued one of the oil filter cover bolts, but I understand thats not as hard of a repair to do.

just did a test to see where the leak was coming from and it is the filter cover.

I'll get that done first and see what happens.

Comment

filter cover bolt just keeps spinning, ideas on how to get this off?

the pan bolt seems to be okay.

Comment

I know what I would do, but I want to see what the wiser ones say...By the way, do they all spin like they are stripped?
        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

no its just one. other 2 came off no problem just to be clear it is part #10 that wont come out and still has the nut on it.

Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Get a screwdriver and pry between the cover and the acorn nut while trying to turn it... Use vise grips to take the stud out

Comment

+1 with Lynne.

Just grab the nut with a pair of vice grips and lock the jaws on and twist and pull like hell. You will then need to use a Recoil insert to do the repair.

Comment

Success! Wasn't really crazy about going the brut force route right off the bat so I tried something else. I broke out the dremel and cut the top of the nut off. With a visual on the bolt itself I notched a line into it and was able to just unscrew the bolt from the engine. Turns out it was just the nut side that was stripped. So I won't need to tap the hole, just replace the bolt and the nut...

thanks for the help, even though I did use the advice given, it helps to think out loud sometimes. Will absolutely use the torque wrench when replacing.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X