engine compreesion??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine compreesion??

hey all, I just picked up my first gs650gt for $300, and I wanna take the time to bring this back to its glory days. But I need to find out a few things on this bike to see if this one is the right bike to make a project out of.
    1. what compression should I get on the motor with a compression test.
    the previous owner said that when he would get the bike to about 120kmh it would blow white smoke from the exhaust( sounds like rings to me but Im coming from the car circle and kinda using this bike as my jumping off point.
    2. are there any perticular things i should watch for or check for when tearing the bike down. I have pulled the carbs and cleaned them( dirtiest things Ive ever seen)

First, welcome to the nut house.

Before you put the carbs back on, CLEAN THEM. How did you clean them this time? Did you take them completely apart, dip all the non-rubber pieces in carb cleaner OVERNIGHT, then re-assemble with new o-rings from cycleorings? If not, it's quite possible that they are not clean yet. Before you tear your hair out trying to get it to run and you keep trying to convince everybody that the carbs are clean, stop now and do them right.

Also check the valve clearances. They usually decrease with use, and they are plenty small to start with, so you can't ignore them for long, or they will start to cause problems. Besides a service manual (which you can find on BassCliff's site), you can find a tutorial (also on BassCliff's site) and also feel free to follow the suggestion at the end of my sig.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the info steve

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. lars_f,

I'm glad you've found us. Follow the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" and you will attain GS nirvana, as long as you take no shortcuts.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X