puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

puzzled

I was out cruizing the town and on my way home my bike started to sound funny out the ( if your sitting on the bike ) right hand exhaust. It almost sounds like it is missing on one cylinder and doesn't have as much power as it should. Could this be due to a fowled plug? I'm letting the bike cool down so that I can go out and look. What are some other things that would cause this to happen?
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Hi,

Yes, hopefully it's something simple like a fouled plug, or an exhaust leak. My bike lost power one day on the way to work and it turned out to be a busted 12v wire to one of my coils.

Could be a bad spark plug cap or wire/cap connection. Spark plugs themselves also go bad once in a while.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well I just checked my plugs and they seem to be fine. I ran it again in the dark to see if maybe I could see any arking but nothing there either. Coils look to be fine I'm at a loss as to wat could be going on.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
        Well I just checked my plugs and they seem to be fine. I ran it again in the dark to see if maybe I could see any arking but nothing there either. Coils look to be fine I'm at a loss as to wat could be going on.
        Bring it over tomorrow evening, I'll have a look.. Have you checked your spark plug boots and also pulled the plug(s) and let it arc on the head so you can see if its getting spark? Could be a bad wire, cap, plug, etc.. or it could be something altogether worse, but lets not hope for that..

Comment

Could possibly be a carb issue? Is your tank rusty, have the carbs been cleaned lately? How's the compression in that cylinder?

Comment

Will it hurt to drive it over there. What could be the worse than the plugs and such being bad or do I not want to know.
            I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
              Will it hurt to drive it over there. What could be the worse than the plugs and such being bad or do I not want to know.
              Naw, not as far as i live from you..what is it like 5 minutes? are all the pipes getting hot fairly evenly? I noticed last night when you left and meant to say something, but you really need to get in the habit of idling the choke back to like 2K RPM when you're letting it warm up.. Not good for it to sit and rev high like that when the oil is not warm and no load..etc.

Worst case, it could have holed a piston, or something but, and while I have never personally heard or SEEN a holed piston, i would think it would be making some kind of awfull racket. Could have let go at the headgasket, i know you said it leaked a little.. that would have an effect on compression. I have a compression gauge and all that.. Bring it by.. we'll give it a once over..

TCK

Comment

Yeah I was trying to keep it at about 2 grand but that choke cable is messed up and causes it to idle up and down. You have to keep adjusting it. Hopefully its just something simple. Got to much left to do on the 750b . I'll bring it over tomorrow. See ya around 4:30 man.
                I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Let us know what you guys find, hopefully nothing major.

..and I sure wish I had a GS neighbor!

Comment

Holed piston??? You'd be playing Spyhunter with the smoke screen.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X