Can I mod a Coil relay mod????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I mod a Coil relay mod????

I just fixed my ignition switch. And I was wandering can you tie the ignitor power into the coil relay mod. Run a split to power the ignitor on the same wire you used to power the coils from the relay to ignitor power???

Don't see why not... as long as you're replacing a constant (when on) switched live with a constant (when on) switched live then there shouldn't be an issue.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm going to try it. I only have 8vdc at the ignitor and it still won't start. Thanks I didn't want to just do it I had to ask to be sure.

Comment

In the 'normal' wiring, the ignitor and the coils are fed from the same wire.

No reason you can't continue that with the relay mod.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This shows a simplified schematic of the GS system. If you cut the O/W wire after the start switch then you can power the entire ignition circuit from anyplace.

When doing the Coil Relay mod with Dyna S, the logical place to power the ignition circuit is from the ignitor plug.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Well I got the whole ignition wired through the relay but I still have no fire at the plugs. Even after I cleaned my ignition switch and replaced the coils. I've tested the ignitor, ohmed the pick up wires. I got 12.88vdc on the + side and 1.76vdc on the - side. I got 12.88 at the ignitor. All wires to the ignitor ohm out. I got new plugs, coil relay mod. new coils, all new wires. What did I do wrong??

Comment

Originally posted by JasonEllis View Post
              Well I got the whole ignition wired through the relay but I still have no fire at the plugs. Even after I cleaned my ignition switch and replaced the coils. I've tested the ignitor, ohmed the pick up wires. I got 12.88vdc on the + side and 1.76vdc on the - side. I got 12.88 at the ignitor. All wires to the ignitor ohm out. I got new plugs, coil relay mod. new coils, all new wires. What did I do wrong??
              if the negative side of teh coil is going up and down between 12V and 2V and there is no spark then the coils are bad (or bad coil wires)

Comment

Their new coils, came with wires and caps already assembeled. It was supose to be a bolt on and go.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonEllis View Post
                  Their new coils, came with wires and caps already assembeled. It was supose to be a bolt on and go.

Are the coils 3 ohms?

Basically if the voltage goes up and down that is saying your primary wiring is fine and the ignitor is working ;turn the engine to see if the voltage cycles up and down.

Comment

They were stock replacements. the voltage doesn't change on the - side I tested it down to the ignitor its not grounding so I think the ignitors bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X