Drive Chain life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Chain life?

My 1982 GS 750 has the original chain. I now have almost 12,000 miles on the bike (I put 5,000 on it this year). It has always been garaged and taken care of. How long is the chain good for?

Measure it and compare the elongation to standard. To measure is the best way to judge wear, not mileage.

According to Tsubaski, "For transmission chain, there is almost no risk of fatigue failure when wear elongation is less than or equal to 1.5 percent".

For example: for a 530 chain the pitch (distance between pins) is 5/8". Count 20 pins and the distance is 12.5". If you measure 20 pins distance on your chain and it's longer than 12.69", the chain is bad and should be replaced.
    Last edited by Nessism; 04-19-2010, 09:45 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you have the rear rim adjusted all the way back and the chain is wacking the frame it's time.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

while you are in there do your sprockets as well. I assume original chain = original sprockets. If they look like raptors claws * like mine did* its time.

it cost me $160 for chain and both sprockets plus 20 for some good chain lube. Yours may be more being a bigger bike. I remember some place reading chain/sprockets should be every 10 years
        Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2010, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dart View Post
          I remember some place reading chain/sprockets should be every 10 years
          That might work if your bike is strictly for weekend recreation.

In the past 12 months, I have logged 27,297 miles on my bike.

Can you imagine a chain that would last for over 250,000 miles?

That might be the day I would consider getting another chain-drive bike.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            That might work if your bike is strictly for weekend recreation.

In the past 12 months, I have logged 27,297 miles on my bike.

Can you imagine a chain that would last for over 250,000 miles?

That might be the day I would consider getting another chain-drive bike.

maybe they ment that in 10 years replace it no matter what, before than replace as needed?

I am no way an expert in this just sharing my experience in what I just went through lol.... btw the 31mm nut on my gs... what freaking sherman did they take that off! lol

Comment

The best way for me is when i can no longer adjust it properly or when I can pull the chain off of the back sprocket more then half of the tooth when adjusted the chain is adjusted correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                The best way for me is when i can no longer adjust it properly or when I can pull the chain off of the back sprocket more then half of the tooth when adjusted the chain is adjusted correctly.
                I agree completely. It has worked for me for, well, a long time, and I have never broken or lost a chain because it was too worn out.

Comment

Working...
                X