how to get stator cover off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to get stator cover off

i have been wd 40ing my phillips screws on the stator cover for 2 days and dam they are tight wont budge any of them with out drills. any tricks to getting them off? when i do get them off can i go with stainless screws to replace them or not a good idea?

Originally posted by 81gst View Post
    i have been wd 40ing my phillips screws on the stator cover for 2 days and dam they are tight wont budge any of them with out drills. any tricks to getting them off? when i do get them off can i go with stainless screws to replace them or not a good idea?
    The threads are way in side, if the impact screw driver doesnt work (get the right bit), then you can drill off the tops. Stainless works well just use anti seize because of dissimilar metals.

Comment

Impact gun with the right phillips tip. the next size down will strip them.

Or if your stuck, cut a slot in the head and use a Common tip and try again, if that doesn't work then try drilling. Just be carefull

Impact gun or impact screwdriver work well. Manually usually strips in my experience,

Stainless works well just use anti seize because of dissimilar metals.
      What are the original screw's made of ?

Comment

Hi,

I used an impact driver in my Stator Replacement guide. Worked like a charm. The cover will still be a little difficult to get off because of the magnetism so be firm, but gentle. You can get a bolt set from z1enterprises.com.

I don't think I've given you a "mega-welcome". Here it is!

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

heat...

to break loose a couple of mine took the cover to my neighbors....heated it up with torch for a bit, then with me hold the cover down and him working the screwdriver they broke loose. Definately was a 2 man job, trying to hold it down and work the screwdriver didn't work for me.....(assumes you're talking about the screws inside the cover tha told the stator and the wire in place).

Replaced them w/stainless hexheads by the way to make it easier the next time...

Comment

Vice grips tight on the head sometimes works.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
              to break loose a couple of mine took the cover to my neighbors....heated it up with torch for a bit, then with me hold the cover down and him working the screwdriver they broke loose. Definately was a 2 man job, trying to hold it down and work the screwdriver didn't work for me.....(assumes you're talking about the screws inside the cover tha told the stator and the wire in place).

Replaced them w/stainless hexheads by the way to make it easier the next time...
              Im talking bout the bolts holding the cover on havent got any farther than that yet. can i head them up or is that cover plastic?

Comment

If you dont have an impact driver...take the phillips screwdriver and hold it in tightly and apply turning pressure. While holding the turning pressure give the screwdriver a few good whacks with a hammer. This usually will break them loose.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Its an aluminum cover and a little heat won't hurt just remember its not steel and can melt if you heat it too much.

Also try tightening just slightly and then loosen.

Comment

Is there any risk in banging on the spring-loaded hand impact driver too hard and too much. Could you damage the stator? I'm trying to get mine out and these screws just aren't budging. Got the ones that are used to route the wire but the 3 holding the stator in are really holding.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                      Is there any risk in banging on the spring-loaded hand impact driver too hard and too much. Could you damage the stator? I'm trying to get mine out and these screws just aren't budging. Got the ones that are used to route the wire but the 3 holding the stator in are really holding.
                      You're not at risk for damaging the stator, I believe. I banged on my impact driver pretty heavily getting those out. Just make sure you have something underneath the stator cover (not concrete, ask me how I know) or you'll end up scratching the crap out of it. Heat would probably be a good idea as well, if the correct Loctite was used during assembly, heat will be a requirement. I highly recommend replacing the cover bolts with stainless allen head bolts. Just make sure you pick up some anti-seize as well. Z1 has a pretty inexpensive bolt kit for just about every model of GS. Roughly 40 bucks for ~70 pieces. Beats $1-$2 per bolt at ACE!

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post

impact drivers are odd
                        you need to deliver a sharp short shot a la the wonderosu dark side of the moon multimedia overlay

a buddy to sit on the bike may help cos that will increase the mass you are driving against.

I canot concieve of any screw resisting turning from an impact driver that did not result in a deformation of the screw head

make sure you have the bit that is the largest that will fit and dont be shy

if things get messy you can drill the button tops off the screw shafts and all shall be well

Comment

Thanks guys. It's the screws inside the case that hold the stator in. I went to Home depot and got this and it did the job. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
                          I think my little Harbor Freight driver was beginning to malfunction because of the hard blows. It seemed to jam so that it was no longer rotating when I whacked it unless I fiddled with it to get it loose. The Home Depot driver was probably 3 or 4 times more expensive but I guess it has payed for itself. Jim M
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                          X