Metal to metal mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal to metal mystery

Brothers 82 GS1100G has intermittent metal grinding sound. There is a slight dull gravel type sound just prior to this happening. It stops immediately when clutch pulled in and rpms drop. Unable to get it to do again on demand. Happened at 3500 to 4000 rpm in 5th gear under gentle acceleration. We were planning a 2000 mile plus trip but until mystery is solved brother is putting trip on hold. His mechanics answer is to ride it until it is not intermittent. Not a great solution for an old bike that parts can be hard to find when you are up to 1000 miles from home. Any ideas? Can you recommend a mechanic in the Boise/Ontario (He lives close to Parma) area that can be trusted and is willing to diagnose an intermittent problem? Any help is appreciated. This was to be his first trip after retirement. Hoping this problem does not rain on the parade...
    Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2010, 01:19 AM.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Tom1276,

At worst, it could be THIS, the bevel gear output. If it is, maybe you've got only a couple of loose bolts in there. It could be clutch rattle, but that doesn't really sound like the symptoms. It could be a problem with the cam chain or cam chain tensioner. It would help to know the exact location of the noise. Anyway....

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

metal to metal

Thanks Cliff. He is unable to pin point the exact location though it is somewhere in the vicinity of the engine/clutch/gear box. The metal to metal sound is very loud and sounds extremily bad. He states his imediate response is to pull the clutch and shut her down. I think you are onto something when suggesting the bevel gear. I was thinking maybe loose clutch plates as well? Anymore thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comment

He took the bike with your feedback to his mechanic who will look into it. The mechanic is skeptical ( "this never happens with these bikes" ). He also has been trying to get my brother to give up on this one and get a different bike. Brother says no way. I told him it is probably time to get a new mechanic and he is looking. I will post when we get a verdict. Thanks again.

Comment

Definately time to get a new mechanic, one found in your own garage

Pulling the clutch cover to check on the hub nut is just basic wrench spinning

So is pulling the rear wheel to check the splines and checking the bevel gears

It's all there on BassCliff's website, factory manuals and how to's
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Behind the primary clutch basket resides a large thick bronze thrust washer. If this washer is worn, you can have some excessive play in your clutch basket. This can also allow the od of the clutch basket to contact the inside of the engine case. This might be your noise. This happened to me to a smaller scale. Once you pull the clutch cover, spotting this issue is easy..

Comment

metal to metal mystery solved

Thank you to all that responded to this thread. It was a loose bolt in the clutch case that would pop out and make horrific noise and then slip back in. The mechanic found it immediately and he said he has a new respect for the Internet community as he would not have looked for the problem where suggested. He pulled all the bolts, lock tight and back in. My brother is back on the road as of today and the July trip though Montana into Canada and back to Idaho is saved. This group rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Definitely time to get a new mechanic, one found in your own garage

Pulling the clutch cover to check on the hub nut is just basic wrench spinning

So is pulling the rear wheel to check the splines and checking the bevel gears

It's all there on BassCliff's website, factory manuals and how to's
                I totally agree and while my brother thinks nothing of pulling the heads off of farm equipment engines for some reason he will not consider turning a wrench for anything more than an oil change when it comes to his bike. As we are almost a thousand miles away from each other there is little I can do to help short of advice. This is the second time we have diagnosed an intermittent problem on his bike that his mechanic was unable to solve (mostly because it would not do it for the mechanic when in the shop). Thanks again to BassCliff and rest of you. Your help is keeping this 82 GS1100 rolling!

Comment

Working...
                X