Advance governor removal (gs 750)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advance governor removal (gs 750)

I'm feeling really dumb at the moment, but how the hell do you remove the main bolt from the spark advance assembly on a gs750?

I've been into CBs before where it's quite clearly the inner bolt, the gs on the other hand, has a 14 mm bolt, and a 17mm "sleeve" around it.

There's one fleeting mention in my clymer about using the 17mm sleeve to advance the engine, so I'm assuming the 14mm one is the lock bolt. I just want to be dead sure because it's on there good and I'm going to have to get out the big guns to budge it.

Remove the 14mm bolt. It holds the larger hex in place. It's normal left hand thread. Remove bolt and governor will come off fairly easily, sometimes needs a gentle knock with a rubber hammer to dislodge it from the end of the crank.

Comment

Wait a tic... if it's left hand thread, how am I supposed to get any leverage on this thing? Even with the bike on the ground in 3rd, the back tire wants to slip when I apply torque to the bolt.

Right hand thread seems to make more sense, if only because I can hold the kickstart with my foot to stop the crankshaft from rotating.

Either way, it's still not budging >.<

Comment

Its a normal thread , same as every bolt on the bike. Put it in 6th and hold the rear brake. Or just use an impact gun, and maybe just tap your wrench to brake it loose with a rubber mallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
          Put it in 6th and hold the rear brake.
          \

Thanks for the back break tip, that got it. I've been out in the sun working on this thing all day and not thinking straight.

Comment

Originally posted by erch View Post
            Wait a tic... if it's left hand thread, how am I supposed to get any leverage on this thing? Even with the bike on the ground in 3rd, the back tire wants to slip when I apply torque to the bolt.

Right hand thread seems to make more sense, if only because I can hold the kickstart with my foot to stop the crankshaft from rotating.

Either way, it's still not budging >.<
            MY BAD. I must be more tired than I think. I meant anti clockwise. Hope you didn't do any damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              MY BAD. I must be more tired than I think. I meant anti clockwise. Hope you didn't do any damage.
              No worries, no harm done. Thanks both of you for the replies. The thing's running like a hot mess with the new ignition and coils.

Comment

Working...
              X