Can I use,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use,

The Red make your own gasket goop on my Valve cover. Or will that be a bad idea. I bought some gasket making material too. If I can't use the goop. I will make my own. Like the pioneers did when they came to this country. Or did I see that on BassCliff's site? The Mail Lost the one I ordered.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

IT IS NOT advisable, get the correct gasket..

Comment

Keep the RTV gasket glop in the trash can where it belongs, not anywhere near your GS.

You can make your own if you have time, a steady hand, and a big enough and thick enough piece of gasket material.

However, most Suzuki dealers can have a new OEM valve cover gasket in your hands in three days or less. This is the best option, honestly.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Take your valve cover and coat the sealing lip with oil and then put it on top of your gasket paper so that it makes the outline and then cut and trim it to fit. Keep in mind that the gasket must be thick, so that the tach gears don't mesh too tightly together and get damaged.

No gasket sealer will work, its too tight on the gears and doesn't seal well at all.

Comment

I'll check ,

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
          Take your valve cover and coat the sealing lip with oil and then put it on top of your gasket paper so that it makes the outline and then cut and trim it to fit. Keep in mind that the gasket must be thick, so that the tach gears don't mesh too tightly together and get damaged.

No gasket sealer will work, its too tight on the gears and doesn't seal well at all.
          I have a piece of the old Athena valve cover gasket. I will check the thickness against the material I have. How about cork, too fat? I got time, whats the worst that could happen a leak. I put new brake pads on the GS500F today and changed the oil. It went very well. The GS1000 is more like a hobby, but I don't want to break it. Thanks for the help. Everybody. The Athena gasket came in a kit. It leaked right out of the gate. Nothing could stop it.
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

All done gasket making,

I finished my first valve cover gasket. I followed the instructions from the forum. It went pretty good. I bought a Xacto Knife and Harbor Fraight hole punches $4.99. Soon as my Black Dicks, or valve cover plugs whatever, you call them get here. I'll put her back together and see what leaks next.
            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

All done

I got her put back together. No leaking so far. This is the best website in the whole world! Really!
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
              X