Help me, need to pull out engine, 82 gs650gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me, need to pull out engine, 82 gs650gl

I recently have an oil leak from my gaskets in my engine..i got a 35 piece gasket kit and dont wanna pay a garage to do it. I do have experience with other bikes in the past but never taking my engine apart. Is there anything i need to know or watch for? Other questions: How do i adjust my valves because they haven been doNE sience i owned the bike (2yrs) and im sure they werent done with the previous owner. 2. So i have to do anything with the crankcase and drive shaft or can i just take the actual motor out? I guess i just want input on what people know so i can do this harm free..any suggestions or hints are greatly appreciated...anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends? If you are just doing the top end there is no need to remove the engine. If you are planning to split the cases ? Yes you need to remove the engine. Not real difficult just takes some time. Take lots of pictures for reference. If you need to remove the motor? Personally I would Get some 2x4s and make a box to support the bike and remove the swing arm drive shaft go from there. You could also tye the bike to the rafters for extra support safety

Check on BassCliff's web site for tutorial on valve adjustment, service manual

Comment

Hi Mr. Daddio87,

Your "mega-welcome" is in your other thread. <<<Click.

Are you pulling the engine out of the frame? Put a tire (no wheel) next to the bike on the right side, lay the bike on its side (engine on top of the tire), and drop the motor on the tire (or similar). You may need to support the frame with wood blocks or similar. If you're only doing the top end you can leave the engine in the frame.

You'll find a manual and other information on my website. Please help yourself. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X