Anyone use Ebay for electrical parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use Ebay for electrical parts?

As I said in my intro post, my right handle switch and throttle is essentially not there. I know it is always recommended to only buy new electrical parts but for something like this, is it okay to use Ebay? I'm on a budget right now and would like to stay under it as much as possible.

When do you say buy new and it's okay to buy used?
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Hi,

You take your chances on ebay. I've bought junk a couple of times and had to eat it. It's your call.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I've bought electrical stuff on eBay before, with good results, after asking questions.
      I recomend you pay close attention to the seller's rating, ask questions via email (keep the reply emails, in case he says he never said it was a working item) and use Paypal, so you can dispute if necessary.
      (I've heard of people saying Paypal did nothing for them, but I've also heard eBay is cracking down on bad sellers)
      Have you tried advertising for one here? I'd likely trust GSR members more than an eBay seller (except those I've previously had good luck with)

Comment

For switchblocks you might be better going to a wrecker and finding one off a modern bike that fits your handlebars. Essentially they all do the same thing. I've got a 78 GS750 that was outside for years before I bought it and I'll be taking the old faded blocks to a wrecker to find something off a new bike.

Comment

+1 on ROADRUNNERS comments on EBAY and PAYPAL.

Find the item you want, ask lots of questions to tie the buyer into giving the condition of the parts and making it harder for him to deceive you. Make him feel guilty if he lies to you.

I have bought heaps of stuff on EBAY and only rarely have I been unhappy with the transactions.

I bought a set of camshafts and sprockets from the U.S. I asked questions about the cam lobe surfacing, such as any pitting, score marks etc. Also asked condition of bearing surfaces. I got the answers I was after and it turned out to be a great purchase. I actually only wanted one camshaft, and he included the other one for free (it was on another auction & did not sell).

I bought a gear cluster in magnificent condition to replace my worn out sixth gear pair. Again very happy.

I have also bought two combination handle bar switches and an 850 instrument panel, all from the U.S.

Like I say I have no complaints with EBAY. Maybe I am just lucky or I ask the right questions. Not many parts available here in OZ from wreckers so I do a lot buying on EBAY.

Ask lots of questions and request extra pictures if you need to. If they won't send extra pics then don't buy from them.

Comment

Thanks all. I'll try calling around later this week. It's time for work and I can't access Ebay from my work systems. Take care.

While we are at it, does anyone have a right handle switch and throttle handle that will fit my 81?
            Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM. Reason: Added item
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
            X