Charging problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problem?

I'm new here, i just joined and i have some questions. I have a 1978 GS750E. Bought it about a week ago and now im having some charging issues. I unhooked the terminals and used a multi meter to discover that there was only 5 and a half volt coming to the battery. What part or parts are not functioning properly?

Thank you,
    Brad

Welcome aboard; Cliff will be by soon for a more formal welcome. remember there is a search function.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. brad1968,

Most of your questions will be answered in the following links. It sounds like you need to start by reading The Stator Papers and use the troubleshooting guide. Clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness, start with a known good battery, and follow the troubleshooting procedures to determine if you have a bad stator or regulator/rectifier unit. Let's begin...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2010, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brad1968 View Post
        I'm new here, i just joined and i have some questions. I have a 1978 GS750E. Bought it about a week ago and now im having some charging issues. I unhooked the terminals and used a multi meter to discover that there was only 5 and a half volt coming to the battery. What part or parts are not functioning properly?

Thank you,
        Brad
        If the stuff in red means you disconnected the R/R (or battery), ran the bike, and attempted to measure the voltage at the R/R, dont do that.

It doesn't tell you anything, and can damage the R/R.

Comment

Brad,

Welcome to the GSR.

Good that you have a multimeter.

Measure the battery voltage with everything connected. Measure it with engine off, and with engine running at mid-rpm (like 4K). Is a tutorial on BassCliff BIkeCliff webpage about this.

BUt, yah, sounds like you have a charging problem.

The stator papers are very detailed and have you check lots of things. THe big test is the stator open circuit test (that one you do do with things disconnected, the stator disconnected). All these test are to determine if bad connections, or bad stator, or bad R/R.

WHere, in general, are you located?
          Last edited by Redman; 04-23-2010, 12:14 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome, Lots of great info here and knowlegeable folks. You should be up and running in no time.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Working...
            X