81 gs1100e clutch options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1100e clutch options

i need to do a clutch do i just do all the pads or add the springs also and if add springs what kind aftermarket or stock. only mods i got are a 4 into 1 pro pipe and pod filters. by the way just took it down the road to day and holly s***. that made a huge differance pulled a wheelie hitting second gear lol kinda scary when that heavy thing came off the ground. and help much appreciated. also im still working on the paint details i pmed some of ya guys about havent forgot about ya

I'm in the process of doing a clutch in my '82 1100E. Seems like there are few weak points in the system, which are pretty easy to eliminate. Some of them are optional, but with the riding style you seem to be enjoying, I'd recommend doing them all.

The clutch hub springs become loose over time, and will rattle, causing all sorts of god-awful noises. This is cured by installing a HD clutch hub kit, there are a few vendors out there for them.

The clutch pressure plate springs also weaken in time, which can cause slippage. These are easily replaced with aftermarket units, most people use a 50-50 mix of old and new springs in order to achieve a balanced feel at the lever. Most people feel the clutch is too hard to pull with all brand new aftermarket springs.

The last area to bolster is the clutch hub nut itself. The factory unit is made from too soft a metal. This allows the threads to deform, which loosens the nut over time. Obviously, this is bad. An APE clutch hub nut is the fix.

For the other, normal stuff, just pick up a set of OEM fiber plates. They're plenty strong, and the aftermarket kits will do bad things to your clutch parts over time. Your steel plates are ok to use, so long as they're still nice and flat.

If you're going to be running the motor hard, this is also a really good opportunity to install some 750 oil pump gears. They'll increase the oil volume (not pressure) in the engine, which is all manner of good for these motors.

Comment

Working...
    X