Bike only starts sometimes possible clutch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike only starts sometimes possible clutch problem

So I just bought a 1980 GS550E yesterday.
    The bike only starts sometimes when you just hold down the clutch and press the starter. The other times the engine does not even turn over, no clicking or anything.
    The bike will however start if you start it while rolling down a hill or being pushed.
    The clutch handle is extremely hard to pull in and seems like that may play a factor in why it will not start because maybe the clutch is not fully engaging causing it to not allow ignition.
    It does not seem like the battery is the problem because the headlight is nice and bright and it does start up sometimes.
    Once the bike gets started it runs fine without any problems other than the stiff clutch handle.
    This is my first motorcycle and I do not have alot of money to invest in this bike to go bring it to be repaired so you guys are my only hope! Help me please!

without trying to start it, put it in gear and try to push it. easy way to see if the clutch is disengaging or not.

also, don't guess about the battery, put a multimeter on it and see where you're at.

My bike is similar to yours, I have been able to do almost all of the work myself. I was new to this in november when I got mine, and the people here got me through a ton of issues, so don't sweat that part.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2010, 12:02 AM.

Comment

also, make sure to grab the manual when you get your mega-welcome... you will never stop referring to it

Comment

Hi Mr. okiedokieiguess,

You might just have a dirty switch under your start button. Your bike is almost 30 years old and it's going to take some time and effort to get it back to a robust and reliable condition. Start by checking, cleaning, and repairing EVERY electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness. Yes, take off the tank, seat, side covers, even the blinkers. Get your small wire brushes, sand paper, contact cleaner, etc, and make sure it's all clean. You must even clean the fuse box. EVERY connection from the headlight bucket to the tail light, including the big ground cable from the negative battery terminal to the bottom of the engine. You'll find lots of information on my website and in your "mega-welcome". You have a lot to read, study, and learn about these classic bikes. If you're serious about riding it, you'll have to get serious about learning how to take care of it. If you're not serious, sell it and buy a new plastic motorcycle that you don't have to work on. Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it again for another 20 years or so. Now, let's begin...

How old are the tires on your bike?
        What kind of shape is the brake system in? You'll need to at least check the brake pads and change the brake fluid. Change the engine oil and oil filter. Replace the air filter. Replace the spark plugs. Replace the fork oil. But wait! There's more! See the task lists in your "mega-welcome". They will guide you to Suzuki GS bliss if you take no shortcuts.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks so much for the input

detorn - I did put it in gear and try to push it and it is in gear because it does not move. And I will go do the battery test today too. It is 12v right?

BassCliff - Thanks for all the information! I actually followed one of your other replies before posting this one about how to replace the clutch cable. Your website is very informative and helpful!
          I have the next 2 days off so I am going to take your suggestion of cleaning the electrical connections, beginning with the starter connection to see if that is the problem in this situation.

Comment

Sounds like you need to change your clutch cable, too.

Unless you happen to be the proverbial "98-pound weakling", you should have no difficulty pulling the lever.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

haha no I am very capable of pulling a clutch lever this one is just really hard.
              I actually ordered a new clutch cable and clutch lever earlier this afternoon because it was only $26 and that will be here tomorrow. So hopefully the combination of cleaning the electrical and replacing the clutch cable fixes my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by okiedokieiguess View Post
                detorn - I did put it in gear and try to push it and it is in gear because it does not move.
                to be clear, I meant put it in gear, pull the clutch in and try to roll it.

also, the reason I mentioned the manual is that it may just be that your clutch cable needs to be adjusted... a little tweak can make go from soft to un-squeezable.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I just put it in gear and held in the clutch and the bike moved but with resistance. Without the clutch being pulled in, it will not move. When it is pulled in it moves a little. When in neutral it moves freely. So it seems like the clutch is just not fully engaging.

And I tried adjusting the clutch yesterday and got the lever to squeeze in easier but it was not letting me shift easily so i put it back to being hard.

Comment

Originally posted by okiedokieiguess View Post
                    I just put it in gear and held in the clutch and the bike moved but with resistance.
                    there is a 3rd adjustment point number 26 and 27 on the clutch fiche, I just had to do this on my bike. takes no time at all. My manual doesn't spell this out very clearly, not sure about yours, but once you get the cover off it is pretty easy to figure out. back the bolt off, turn the screw in a tiny bit (1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time) and tighten the bolt back down.

since you've ordered a new cable tho, I'd wait till you install that, could be that your cable has just stretched a bit and the new cable will be fine. If it is still an issue then check the steps above.

Comment

So I got the bike up and running today!

The problem was the clutch relay in the starter switch was disconnected completely. The solder came loose. So I resoldered it back on and it worked like a dream.

Me and my friend Sean replaced the clutch cable too and it is so smooth now.

But when I was test driving it around town the throttle cable came loose. I opened up the handle again to see if it came unseated and it wasnt, it was right where it was supposed to be. Is there a way to adjust the throttle cable or is something else seriously wrong?

Comment

Well you beat me to my advice. I saw this thread and instantly thought of that switch. Now that you know how they work, you'll also know how your front brake light switch works too.

Chances are your cables are all needing replaced or oiled. How bad was your other cable? Id strip all your cables off of the upper or lower end and oil them up. Just tape a plastic bag on top to act as a funner and suspend it up in the air. And fill the bag full of oil. Once it comes out the bottom side you're done. Mine took about 10 mins. I also moved the cable back and forth to work out the oil. After that I blew a little air through it to remove excess oil. Inspect them for frayed cables too. If anything is frayed, just replace them.

I have an 85 with mikuni bs series carbs. My adjustment is between the 2 carbs. You should have the 4 carb setup. You'll have to refer to someone else about adjustment of those types if you cant find it down there.

Comment

So me and my buddy Sean just took off the tank and looked at the throttle cable and it appears to have just come completely unscrewed. We have no way to get at it though and I am having a very hard time finding a tutorial on replacing the throttle cable so can anyone please guide me through or link me to one please. Thanks!

Comment

See if you can find a procedure for puling the carbs. It might tell you when you put the throttle cable on (Or off in this case).

Comment

Working...
                            X