1980 GS 1100E Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 1100E Tire Size

What is the biggest Rear tire you can fit an a 1980 GS 1100E ? It had a 120/90-17 on the bike. I might be able to go to a 130/90-17 ?

Another Question

I was also wondering if the rims are tubeless ? I thought they were until I went to change the tire and it had a tube in it. If it takes a bolt in valve stem it is a strange size.

Comment

Tire

130-90/17 is a nice fit but I wouldn't try to go any bigger. The original rims were intended to be fitted with a tube.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Hi,

A 130 tire should be just fine but any bigger will start messing up your handling and could actually leave you with a smaller contact patch. If your rim says "Tubeless Applicable" on it, then a tubeless tire will work. Many members here have drilled out their valve stem hole to install a new valve stem and run tubeless tires, and had no problems. But I'm leery. The tubeless rims have less porosity and special construction to hold a tubeless tire properly in case of a flat. I run a tubeless rear but my front rim requires a tube. So that's how I roll.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X