Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging problem... plus reg compatibility.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problem... plus reg compatibility.

Yeah, you guessed it. My '85 GS850G battery isn't getting charged.

Tested it today (state of mild/moderate discharge) at 11.80v with ignition off, and 11.64v with the bike running at all revs.

Pinned the RR as the problem and also found a place with an '84-'86 GSX1100 unit.

Would this unit be compatible? Any knowledgable reply would be much appreciated.

Cheers - boingk
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2010, 05:27 AM. Reason: More info

Hi,

I have no direct knowledge, but I suspect it would work. You'll have to crimp/solder your own connectors and such, and wire it in properly. Do you know how many wires the unit has? Mr. duaneage probably has a good used Honda r/r unit that will bolt on to your bike, no problem. Or you can check the list HERE for compatible units.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, BC, and yeah I plan on having to do some soldering.

The GSX1100 unit has 7 wires - is that what I'm after?

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Hum, stock Suzuki GS R/Rs have 5 wires: stator, stator, stator, positive, and ground.

Other (Honda) have 6 wires: stator, stator, stator, Positive to battery, positive sense to a switched circuit, and ground.

Quess I am not helping you much.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi,

Seven wire r/r units are usually 3-stator, 2-hot, 2-ground. I have one of these type on my bike right now. The stator wires are self-explanatory. Put one ground wire on the negative battery terminal and the other on a good solid frame ground, not the battery box. With the hot wires, put one into the wiring harness connection that goes through the fusebox and the other can go directly to the positive terminal of the battery, but you must install an inline fuse to be safe. I actually wired both of the red output wires into the harness, foregoing the direct connection to the battery. It's been that way for almost two years with no problems.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X