'83 GS550L Charging Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS550L Charging Issue

I have put 500 miles on my bike this spring with no problems...until yesterday. The battery is not charging at all at low or high RPM's. I have read the Stator Papers and am prepared to do all the testing on the electrical this weekend after I purchase a good multimeter.

First a couple quick questions some of you who know more about electrical issues may be able to help me with. In my initial probing into the problem I noticed that when the engine is idling and I disconnect the RR wiring harness the RPM's go up very noticably. Do any of you electrical gurus know what that means? Also, if I do narrow it down to either a bad RR or a bad stator, should I just replace BOTH with Electrosport to save headaches down the road. Thanks for any input...

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jtjastal,

It seems you already have 12 posts and I have yet to welcome you properly to the forum. Before I do that, your charging issues can be remedied by reading The Stator Papers and using the troubleshooting chart included therein. It helps to check and clean EVERY electrical connection and ground, including the fusebox, ignition switch, etc, on the entire wiring harness. Connect the ground wire from the r/r unit directly to the negative terminal of the battery. The Electrosport is fine for a stator. But I would suggest getting a r/r unit from member duaneage. I'm glad you've joined us.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X