Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuses and Brake Lights

Fellas,

I purchased a 1978 GS 750 E and I have yet to get the manual, I'll do that soon. I did a breif review of the bike last night I'm noticing that the PO conducted some half assed wiring splices and I'm having trouble with my brake lights illuminating- both front and rear. What I wanted to know right now is how many fuses this bike has. I have found, what appears to be, the main fuse behind the left side cover (which was blown). But are there any other fuses, if so where are they?

I replaced the fuse that was blown and it started and ran great. My only issue are these brake light circuits, so any help would be great. I tested chassis ground connections at the light and they're good.

Max.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. MiracleMax,

Please find and download a manual for your bike from my website. I might not have your exact year, but it will be close enough for most tasks.

I'm glad you've joined us. Let me start by encouraging you to check/clean/repair every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness, from headlight bucket to tail light, including the fuse box, ignition switch, that big fat ground cable from the negative battery terminal to the bottom of the engine, all the molex connectors and bullet connectors, everything. Then connect the ground wire from your regulator/rectifier unit directly to the negative terminal of the battery. There are a couple of task lists in your "mega-welcome" that should be followed in order to establish a baseline for further troubleshooting (if you have any problems left after completing all the tasks). In order to do this properly you must take no shortcuts or you will be chasing one issue after another, causing much frustration and inconvenience. With that said, let's begin...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If I remember correctly that bike has just 1 fuse on the main line and no others.

the Orange wire is the +12v feed for both brake light switches (and many other things)

The output from either brake switch is a white wire..

The Service Manual for 8V 750's on Cliff's site has a good wiring diagram in it.

Comment

I just looked at the "early 750 manual" that BassCliff has posted on his site. On pdf pages 177 and 178, you will find the wiring diagram.

There is exactly ONE fuse on the bike.

There is an orange wire that is switched by the ignition switch. It powers everything on the bike, so if your horn and turn signals work, that wire is live. If the brakes are the only thing that don't work, find the white wire that goes to the tail/brake light, see if it goes live when either brake switch is activated. It might be as simple as a burned out bulb.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X