Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lube your chain

This has worked for me for eons, just thought I would share:

Take a kerosene-soaked rag, place it on the chain on the rear sprocket, rotate the rear tire slowly. Pay attention to the inner and outer plates. Continue to rotate the wheel until all the plates come up clean. You will probably need to change the rag around multiple times to give it a clean spot as you go. Once the chain is clean, allow the kerosene to dry as you go wash your hands. Next, take a high quality chain lube (no motor oil or WD-40, please). Lube the chain liberally on the plates, inside and out while rotating the wheel. If it is not a o-ring chain, also lube the rollers. Let it soak for a bit. Take a clean rag, again placing it on the rear sprocket. Carefully wipe all the extra lube off the chain. This helps prevent road crud from adhering to the chain.
    It takes a bit of time, but you now have a properly lubed chain.

any opinions on spray vs wax? I haven't had a problem with picking up crud on the chain, but have had a problem with lube being flung into the chain guard and being a mess... think I'm going to try the wax, just wanted to hear opinions.

Comment

You might want to post the exact brand you plan on using, they do vary.
      I am currently using Maxima Chain Guard Synthetic, which is made specifically for O-Ring chains. Will sling a bit if I am not meticulous about wiping it down.

Comment

no idea on what I plan on using... not really sure whats out there, I just heard thats the two options

Comment

Originally posted by detorn View Post
          any opinions on spray vs wax? I haven't had a problem with picking up crud on the chain, but have had a problem with lube being flung into the chain guard and being a mess... think I'm going to try the wax, just wanted to hear opinions.
          I use this chain wax. Does not seem to attract dirt/grime, does not fling off, lasts long enough, and does a good job. Before this I used whatever chain lube they sold at the m/c shop but it always flung off and made a mess. This stuff is much less messy.
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Me too

Originally posted by gbw View Post
            I use this chain wax. Does not seem to attract dirt/grime, does not fling off, lasts long enough, and does a good job. Before this I used whatever chain lube they sold at the m/c shop but it always flung off and made a mess. This stuff is much less messy.
            I use the same stuff and have been very pleased with it. It seems a little expensive when you buy it but a can seems to last forever.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

There's an easier way. Get the shaft!!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                There's an easier way. Get the shaft!!
                I wasn't going to say anything.

Change the gear oil in the final drive and secondary gear case once or twice a year. That's it. But we don't get the option of changing our final drive ratios. But that's no biggie.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  This has worked for me for eons, just thought I would share:

Take a kerosene-soaked rag, place it on the chain on the rear sprocket, rotate the rear tire slowly. Pay attention to the inner and outer plates. Continue to rotate the wheel until all the plates come up clean. You will probably need to change the rag around multiple times to give it a clean spot as you go. Once the chain is clean, allow the kerosene to dry as you go wash your hands. Next, take a high quality chain lube (no motor oil or WD-40, please). Lube the chain liberally on the plates, inside and out while rotating the wheel. If it is not a o-ring chain, also lube the rollers. Let it soak for a bit. Take a clean rag, again placing it on the rear sprocket. Carefully wipe all the extra lube off the chain. This helps prevent road crud from adhering to the chain.
                  It takes a bit of time, but you now have a properly lubed chain.
                  I think it is worth mentioning in case it has not occured to somebody.....

The only safe way to do this is standing at the rear, rotating tire in reverse direction and holding rag at the bottom of the chain only.

Dont get near the top unless you want to lose some fingers

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    I think it is worth mentioning in case it has not occured to somebody.....
                    Dont get near the top unless you want to lose some fingers
                    Good point....there's a clip on Youtube of a guy losing his fingers while filming a 'how to clean your chain the easy way' (NOT!) clip, with the engine running and bike on the center stand.....I could look for it to post here, but I think I've exceeded the 'cringe factor' with the 'crocodile finger-snipping clip' in the other thread.
                    Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Well, I wasn't starting out with the best chain to begin with, and I've only had to clean/lube it a couple of times (new chain and sprockets will be coming in a short while), so no long-term feedback from me. But DuPont Teflon multi-use spray is only $5/can at Lowes. It's labeled O-ring safe and is reputed to be able to go about twice as long as normal lubes between cleanings.

Originally posted by detorn View Post
                      no idea on what I plan on using... not really sure whats out there, I just heard thats the two options

Comment

Good point, pos_player, I do it so naturally that it never occured to me to say it. Just seems like common sense. IOW, make sure the section of chain you are touching is leaving the sprocket, not entering it.
                        AFA cost, do not let that enter into the equation when purchasing chain lube. One can lasts a long time. Buy the very best.
                        That Maxima Chain Wax is made by the same company as my lube, and I have been very pleased with what I use.

Comment

I'm using PJ1 chain wax and while it seems to work well it leaves my chain white which looks the pits. Chains aren't supposed to be white and wax is a real PITA to clean off. Do the other waxes do this?
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            I'm using PJ1 chain wax and while it seems to work well it leaves my chain white which looks the pits. Chains aren't supposed to be white and wax is a real PITA to clean off. Do the other waxes do this?
                            Yes, I originally had a can of Castrol lube, and it too left a white residue that looked crappy....the Maxima wax goes on clear and lubes well (so does the DuPont product I believe), without diminishing the bling of a nice gold chain.
                            Tony.
                            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                              Good point....there's a clip on Youtube of a guy losing his fingers while filming a 'how to clean your chain the easy way' (NOT!) clip, with the engine running and bike on the center stand.....I could look for it to post here, but I think I've exceeded the 'cringe factor' with the 'crocodile finger-snipping clip' in the other thread.
                              Tony.
                              Yea I think I posted one of them at least. Probably been deleted by now

Comment

Working...
                              X